Processors on Monitors

• Members

I know that it is now very popular to use a processor (Driverack etc) for FOH. However, I've not heard of anyone using a processor to correct issues with monitors. I would imagine that monitors suffer from the same issues that FOH speakers do (time alignment, equalization etc). I was wondering if cost was really the concern here or if there is something I don't see. Do pro's use processors on monitors or is it just not done. Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

• Members

yep when you start getting into biamped monitors processors are very common, they cost only slightly more than a decent crossover (per channel) and can do alot more. equalization is typically done with equalizers though so you can quick access, although dbx, kt, ashley and im sure some others have eq controllers for thier proccessors with motorized faders that allow for quick changes, perhaps even quicker than individual eqs because you can put it close to you and press a button to recall that channel vs. having to find the channel in a whole bank of eqs.

• Members

It depends, some folks use the Crown I-TECH amps w/ built in DSP for those functions and add a graphic externally for each mix, some use the Protea, KT and BSS products, but most use an outboard eq.

Something that is beginning to become more accepted when doing tours is to utilize a digital desk with the processing onboard. This is still quite limited in use though expect to see more as the user interfaces improve. Not ideal for one-off events whete there are a lot of unexpected happenings though.

Archived