My first PA noob

• Members

I'm sorry for the stupidity but after years of performing with small amps and the like I'm hoping to branch out and get a PA system for vocals etc.

I was looking at the Behringer Xenyx 1222fx - large enough, right price. I'm just uncertain as to whether it will take the speakers I have in mind, the Yamaha S115V. They're passive (I think) and they're 8ohms apiece. Will I need an amplifier to drive these or can they just go straight into the Xenyx through its XLR outs?

Basically, is the Xenyx 1222fx a powered mixer, and what's its nominal impedance, I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Thanks,

Elis

• Members

First off, you can go to behringer.com and search for the mixer.. it pops right up.

Second, it is NOT a powered mixer so you will need an amplifier to drive your passsive speakers.

Rarely will you see XLR connectors used as the amplifier output, normally it's quarter inch or Neutrik.

The XLR outputs on the Behringer mixer are line level balanced outputs designed to go to an EQ or an amp.

• CMS Author

I'm sorry for the stupidity but after years of performing with small amps and the like I'm hoping to branch out and get a PA system for vocals etc.

I was looking at the Behringer Xenyx 1222fx - large enough, right price. I'm just uncertain as to whether it will take the speakers I have in mind, the Yamaha S115V. They're passive (I think) and they're 8ohms apiece. Will I need an amplifier to drive these or can they just go straight into the Xenyx through its XLR outs?

Basically, is the Xenyx 1222fx a powered mixer, and what's its nominal impedance, I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Thanks,

Elis

Welcome to the forums Elis. In most cases a powered mixer will be labeled as such. They are convenient if your needs are very modest and you know for sure you won't be expanding the system at all. If you decided to add more or larger speakers than the power amps in the mixer can handle, you'd be sortof outta luck. You can add amps or powered speakers by using the powered mixer's line level outs, and in some cases the internal amps can be directed for use with the monitor outputs, but alot of the time this negates the original convenience of a single box.

As Rbts notes, you're usually better off with powered speakers and a passive mixer, or amps and speakers and a passive mixer. The flexibility is much greater, and the cost is comparable. Plus activce speakers are usually bi-amped so the sound quality is usually a little better too.

• Members

Hey Impaled,

This is just my opinion, but save yourself a possible headache and go with the Peavey pv14usb. You will gain 4 xlr inputs and maintain your two stereo 1/4 inch channels. Looks like you might lose an aux send with the addition of the effects send. Not sure how you plan on doing your monitors. However, in my opinion, it's a much nicer board with a built in usb interface rather than Behringer's external, which I have read is mediocre at best. Plus, I am sure Peavey is better with their customer service is than Behringer. Either way, good luck with your transition.

Archived