Crown CE1000 for $250 or Peavey 8.5C for $160?

• Members

GET THE PEAVEY. the crown ce is a piece of crap . and when they die the peavey can be fixed ..cheap. the crown has to be sent to the factory..

2 of the 3 dead ce 2000 i have will work long enough .to demo them ,but will shut down in a few minuets. my peaveys 4 , 8.5 and 2 1.3k are very good.

the only reason I'm getting new amps is because i want lighter amps and speakon outs

• Members

I got it all extended a day ... I'm leaning towards the Peavey. It takes up an extra rack space, but I kinda trust the seller of the Peavey a bit more ... especially if you guys are saying those specific line of Crowns {censored} the bed easily.

• Members

I got it all extended a day ... I'm leaning towards the Peavey. It takes up an extra rack space, but I kinda trust the seller of the Peavey a bit more ... especially if you guys are saying those specific line of Crowns {censored} the bed easily.

The Peavey is probably a safer bet but that all depends on how it was used by the previous owner and luck of the draw. I got burnt when I installed a new CE2000 at work. I sang praises of the Crown brand which my boss agreed to wholeheartedly. It did not last 3 months. Sent it in for repair, got it back and I left soon after that so I don't know if there were any other issues post repair.

As stated above, the CE4000 is a whole different animal from the the rest of the CE pack. Generally a good performer and trouble free.

Good luck with your future amp. :)

V.

• Members

The CE line is VERY difficult to repair IMO, I have worked on a couple and it's an amp I will no longer service. WHEN they work, they are so-so, but they have a pretty rough perfromance record from what I have seen locally.

Are you talking about all 3 models?

V.

• Members

Are you talking about all 3 models?

V.

Yes, the 1000 & 2000 are difficult and had a pretty high failure rathe (from what I have seen anyway). The 4000 is extremely difficult to repair but that is because there is a lit of technology in it and I have not seen a lot of problems with this model. It's essentially a class D type amp (Crown's interpretation).

Archived