need help on a new PA system

• Members

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I hope this is the place to ask the question.

I just recently bought a pair of JBL jrx125 speaker and a crown 602d amp. Still needing a mixer,compressor, and an equalizer. I have $800-$1000 more to spend. What would you recommend as far as "best bang for the buck".

• Members

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I hope this is the place to ask the question.

I just recently bought a pair of JBL jrx125 speaker and a crown 602d amp. Still needing a mixer,compressor, and an equalizer. I have $800-$1000 more to spend. What would you recommend as far as "best bang for the buck".

Yamaha's newest MG mixers have compression available on a few channels, are very affordable and reliable. Peavey's PV series mixers are also excellent and a good investment. Al

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D545271%252526CTID%25253D227900,00.html#two

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/115049/number/00512140/cat/86/begin/1/PV%AE+14.cfm

• Members

Why would you need a compressor? As for the mixer, how many channels are you looking for? I think a used Peavey RSM4062 is as good as it gets for under $400. http://www.proaudioreview.com/may01/PEAVEY-RSM-4062-web.shtml

• Members

Yeah.. I don't understand why you need a compressor either..

The Yamaha MG series boards are good and so are the Soundcraft boards. It depends on how many channels you need since the "affordable" Soundcraft board is only 12 channels. If you don't need the compressor I would go with an Allen & Heath Mixwizard, but that may put you over budget.

I watched a new Peavey mixer get too hot and burn up last summer so I am a little leary of their new stuff. I wish I would have written down the model number. After the tech opened it up, it didn't look like it could take a lot of punishment or heat.

• CMS Author

Either an A&H Mixwizard or Peavey 24FX. dbx 231.

• Members

First off thank you all for the replies, this is my first PA system setup and it was recommended by a sale associate at Musician Friends that I buy a compressor and a reverb. I guess he's just wanting to sell extra stuffs.

As for as the number of inputs, 12 will be good enough for me.

So the A&H Mixwizard will not require an additional EQ purchase?

Thanks again for everyone help.

• Members

Ok from the recommendations I decided to get:

1. EQ: dbx 231

2. not buying a compressor

3. I looked at the a&h wizard and that unit amaze me just by reading reviews and I wish I could afford one but that put me over the budget. So I decide to go with the Yamaha MG124Cx over the Peavey 14 because I read on tweak that Yamaha is better at sound recording and I may want to start recording on the computer in the near future.

Would it be better if I just buy the MG124C without the effects and purchase another reverb/effects unit like Lexicon MX200? Also are the pv14 and yamaha mg124c have alt 3-4 outs? The peavey seems like it does but I'm not sure.

• Members

The Yamaha MG16/6FX is now well under $400. Got mine for $325 brand new. 10 mic-preamps and onboard effects and EQ. The onboard stuff isn't great, but might hold you over until you can save up for better external boxes.

• Members

Did you look into the newer Peavey FX mixer line? Quite a step up from the PV series and has memory stick changable onboard FX/processing AND recording, while being cheaper than a Mixwiz, AND you can get it in various mic preamp number models. Musician's Friend pricing wasn't bad, within your budget. With the editable FX, no excuse for poor onboard FX.

Boomerweps

• Members

You can get an used old model MixWiz for as low as $500.

A agree on the dbx as a minimum quality EQ (and best value as well).

As I've yet to work with a singer who's volume levels are consistent over his/her range, I find a compressor to be exceedingly handy. But, as with an EQ, a beginner is as likely to make a mess of things as to make things better. Tread with caution.

Archived