How to get a radio-like effect on vocals

• CMS Author

You mean the lo-fi telephone/old AM radio effect, like "the representative from Massachussetts has the floor" in Green Day's Holiday?

Pedal effects can be problematic...if you're talking typical guitar stomp boxes, they rarely if ever have balanced I/O, so right off the bat they're a compromise and require an additional DI box on the output. You would be better served by using a rack effects unit, and control it from stage with its on/off footswitch capability. The effect itself is a lo-fi, with compression and much of the low and high frequency cut. I haven't found this out-of-the-box yet, and would welcome anyone who has to list such a unit...I see this requested here every few months or so, and the typical response recommends a hand-held PA horn.

• CMS Author

I've never tried it but I'd imagine a good eq pedal such as the Boss eq-20 would work. Just peak out the mids and cut everything else.

I've tried this and found that EQ alone doesn't work so well, because it doesn't give that scratchy attack. Being a stompbox, again the impedances are all wrong for mic input and you'll need to add a DI...that brings the cost of this one effect up to about $180 without adding the lo-fi scratchy component to the sound.

• Members
Nickelback often use an effect on vocal live to have sort of a distant radio-esqe vocal effect. Any ideas how to get that for a live show beside at the soundboard? I'm talking pedal effects. Thanks

Transister radios are all mids. How's that for a clue.

• Members

For my guitar I use a Boss GE-7, push 1.6k to full and cut everything else. So if you boost all your high mids and totally cut the highs and lows then you should get close.

When I say cut, I mean completely.

Alternatively you could build a stage/studio mic out of a crappy telephone mic, that would probably give you a better sound than 90% of the EQ.

Edit: I just found out that the Ibanez LF7 is a lo-fi stomp box that has a switch so it can be used for guitar, bass or vocals and are relatively cheap.

• Members

Nickelback often use an effect on vocal live to have sort of a distant radio-esqe vocal effect. Any ideas how to get that for a live show beside at the soundboard? I'm talking pedal effects. Thanks

''Mother's hands are lined with dirt

From long days in the field''

I'm guessing you mean the sound of his voice in the beginning of Too Bad (and probably a few other songs). I'd think a mic'd megaphone with some kind of delay or reverb added would come pretty close... Al

Archived