Feedback on the JBL SF22SP dual 12" powered subs?

• Members

Let's hear what you guys have to say about these things. How much should I pay for a pair in almost new condition? In your opinion, would I be better off keeping what I have (paid of Yamaha SubClub dual 15" speakers with a Peavey 8.5C powering them) or selling those and picking up the JBL (I'd probably have to throw in some extra money on top of what I'd get for selling my current gear). Let me know.

Also ... this would be my first venture into powered speakers ... any complications with running powered speakers in the same system as passive cabs?

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of the Yamaha subs, but they are better than the Sound Factor. Keep what you have. 2 comments though.

Are you sure they are dual 15" subs and not 18"? Yamaha Club series has had dual 18's for a very long time. I'm not familiar with dual 15"'s. Are they really old?

If they are the 500RMS/1000PROG Club 18's then you may want to consider a bigger amp. From what I read the 8.5C puts out 425 at 4 ohms. Assuming you're running one sub off each channel then each speaker is gettinig about 212 watts. While it will work, it's a bit underpowered. If you're careful you could double that and not really be overpowering them.

• Members

The dual 15" Yam club, while far from being a stellar performer probably has a bit more grunt than the dual 12" powered Soundfactor. They are a bandpass box, I believe. And, what, 300 watts of internal power. Ok little subs, but not a lot there. I believe they were getting blown out at $399 at the end of their run a while back. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a pair of them for here and there little applications.

Archived