IEM cheap stop-gap headphones

• Members

I picked up a PSM200 wireless receiver with no earbuds. I am planning on buying some custom LiveWires in a month or two; I fully realize that going with cheap, generic fit earbuds will not sound nearly as good.

I want to start using my system in the meantime, though. I'm hoping to find a 'good enough' set of 'phones to use in the month or so until I get the good ones. I'm hoping to keep them under $30 or so.

Mostly what I'm looking for is something that will have good enough sound isolation so that I can hear my bass and vocals OK, and I'll just use them with my MP3 player after my LiveWires get here. I'm not interested in paying $60 or more for a set of mp3 earphones.

Any 'OK' cheaper earphones out there?

• Members

If I can come up with the money for the Ultimate Ears buds that I want within the next few days, I'll send you my Galaxy ones for free + shipping... unused, still in their sealed bag thing. They'll probably be "good enough". Send me a PM to remind me.

• Members

For a while I ran a Cabaret that provided IE only for the stage. We provided Shure E3s with replacable foam (ear condoms). A few of the musicians would bring in Sony ear buds (sorry I don't remember the model #s but they cost between $20 - $30) and I have to admit they sounded better than the E3s. I think the biggest difference was the efficiency. The E3s wouldn't get that loud before the compression started kicking in (in the long run thats probably a good thing). Also I don't think the Sonys were not as durable (I saw a few of them die mid set).

• Members

Zeromus... thanks... that's a very generous offer. We are probably going to practice on Sunday, and I'm hoping to have something by then. If things change, I'll IM you!

Has anyone tried the JVC Marshmallows (HAFX33)? I've seen some good reviews on them.

• Members

The Koss Plug have really good bass response and isolation for consumer headphones... they're $20-ish They don't sound great, and they're not especially comfortable or innocuous. But they fit the requirements you mentioned for a Jackson.

• Members

Well, I bought the Koss SP3 plugs. They keep sounding like I have water in my ears; I think I have long ear canals because if I move them a little the sound gets nice and loud and clears right up.

I did some of the mods here using tubes from pens and the ER 3 flange buds.

http://www.headwize.com/projects/showproj.php?file=cmoy4a_add_prj.htm

It seems like they are pretty muffled unless I use long pen tubes so that I can get them pretty deep in my ears. I think that customs will definitely be happening sooner rather than later because of this.

• CMS Author

Well, I bought the Koss SP3 plugs. They keep sounding like I have water in my ears; I think I have long ear canals because if I move them a little the sound gets nice and loud and clears right up.

I did some of the mods
here
using tubes from pens and the ER 3 flange buds.

http://www.headwize.com/projects/showproj.php?file=cmoy4a_add_prj.htm

It seems like they are pretty muffled unless I use long pen tubes so that I can get them pretty deep in my ears. I think that customs will definitely be happening sooner rather than later because of this.

Are you sure you're not pushing them in too far? If you push the opening up against the bend in your ear canal, it'll block the opening and they'll sound exactly as you describe.

• Members

OK... This is pretty dumb. I think that fold towards the front of your ear was blocking the larger KOSS driver. I cut them shorter and they are almost flush; work fine.

That being said, if you don't put them into the right depth, you can still get that problem. Does everyone usually carry a small mp3 player with them to adjust the before you go onstage after a break between sets?

Archived