Watts vs power

• Members

How much power is needed for a certain type of gig? I am looking at buying a new pa system and was wondering if something like the yamaha stagepas 500 was suitable for your average acoustic pub gig. Im talking an average sized room, with a few people (bout 50 or more) but fairly noisy. Is there anywhere where I can find a guide to compare how many watts to how big etc. I know it varies depending on where and what etc, just an approximation though)

Thanks guys

• Members

No formula, just experience. For reference I play in a acoustic trio.

When we started out we had a very basic Stageworks PA from Sam Ash - 120 watt (at what load, I don't know), 5 channel system. It worked OK for rehearsals and 50 people, but was already at the clipping limit. When the crowds grew to 100, we needed monitors. Note I said needed, not wanted. Our power was considerably inadequate too.

So we bought a Samson XM410 mixer (200 WPC @ 4 Ohms) and some new FOH speakers, using the Soundworks speakers as monitors. This worked fine to about 150 people. Clipping became an issue in the monitors and because we didn't have gain control on the mixer, our levels/mix were just a mess. So we bit the bullet and bought the system that you see in my signature.

Why am I telling you this? Because when we played for 50 we never thought that we'd play to any more. When we hit 150 we thought it was a fluke. Crowds are now well over 200. If you're any good, people WILL come out again and again to hear you. DON"T BUY A PA FOR 50 PEOPLE. Get a decent system from the beginning. Get a mixer that seems like total overkill and buy two basic speakers (one FOH, one monitor). As you grow you can add more.

As someone here likes to say, "Buy once, cry once". It will save you a lot of money and aggravation.

• Members

As someone here likes to say, "Buy once, cry once". It will save you a lot of money and aggravation.

That is the truth. I wish I did better research before a lot of my purchases. Just upgraded our FOH speakers (again). Bit the bullet this time and for the first time didn't have to acknowledge the trade offs. It isn't much fun listening to your brand new system for the first time and thinking that I should have gotten better subs or a better amp. This time I spent the money and turned it on and just smiled. That is a good feeling.

• Members

If you are a solo act, and you know for sure you won't add more than a mic or instrument or two...see how it goes?

Anyway, if you can guarantee the above, you can save a little on a mixer by using a powered speaker ( Or even a keyboard amp) and subwoofer, or two keyboard amps (then you'd have 8 input channels if you got the right amps.) For a coffee house scenario, it's totally possible to put together a highly effective and inexpensive system this way ( if you always play coffee houses). As mentioned though...you just never know! Best to buy something easily upgradeable by adding more of it.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

The stagepasses work Ok for small coffee shop gigs etc., but as stated above, I'd MUCH rather buck up an extra $200 above that price and start building the pieces for a PA that can handle SO much more than the stagepass.

In your case, I'd look very strongly at small passive mixer and one good powered 12" speaker. The powered speaker will wail on the Stagepass sound wise, is just as easy (if not easier) to set up, and can be used with another when you get there.

• Members

I'm a big fan of powered PA speakers. They have the advantages of being Bi-amped, with amps designed for the speaker they're sitting in.

I'd recommend, at about the price you were looking at, two Yorkville NX55P. If you can swing it, pick up a decent mixer: MixWiz, Mackie VLZ1604, or similar... buy used if you can and save a few dollars.

Once you out grow those speakers, switch them to monitors and get larger.

• Members

You could also get the Stage Pass 500 for small gigs (really portable, above all if you get the rolling bags)

The Stage Pass could be easily expanded for future bigger venues: You could connect a pair (or more) of more powerful powered speakers (RCFs, Mackies, JBLs, etc.) to the Monitor outputs of the Stage Pass and use the passive ones included as monitors.

In this way, you would have a really portable and expandable system.

Archived