PA system advice

• Members

Vocal duo-Acoustic guitar, Taylor T5. We need a power mixer and speakers. We also sometimes play with a bar band with drums and bass.

Thinking about a Yamaha EMX512SC and a decent pair of cabs. JBL or Club Vs? 15's or 12's?

We want enough to play with the band, but will mostly be doing 150 people or less venues as an acoustic duo (two mics, two guitars).

All things considered, best bets please!

• Members

Vocal duo-Acoustic guitar, Taylor T5. We need a power mixer and speakers. We also sometimes play with a bar band with drums and bass.

Thinking about a Yamaha EMX512SC and a decent pair of cabs. JBL or Club Vs? 15's or 12's?

We want enough to play with the band, but will mostly be doing 150 people or less venues as an acoustic duo (two mics, two guitars).

All things considered, best bets please!

Club 15s are very decent speakers. No problem for the acoustic stuff anyway. They will handle a little bass and kick drum but a subwoofer would be much better at this and a great addition if you start adding bass and kick more regularly. Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Zzounds has that rig as a package deal, and it should suffice for the duo

Yamaha EMX512SC, Club S115's, stands, cables for $1227

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMEMX512SC

If you throw in drums and bass, start thinking subs and more power

• Members

Thanks for the good advice. For some reason, everyone is charging 70 bucks to ship the package, due to weight, yet if you buy one Club V 15' shipping is only 9.99. So it is 20 bucks vs. 70 bucks. At Musicians Friend you can get the stands free with the Club V's, so all you are giving up are their cheap cables and the mics.

Any reason I should consider the JBL JRX 15s over the club V? I'd save like $60 by going JBL. Since we are going to hold off on the sub, I hear the Club Vs have a little better bass than do the JBLs.

Off topic, to respond to your T-5 inquiry. I bought the standard with the maple top back in April. I am using a a/b as recommended to go between my acoustic and electric amp. It is an amazing instrument. Nothing like completely changing your sound on the fly. Great giging guitar if you don't have somebody handing you your next guitar everytime you change tunes. I still gig with an acoustic for that "pure" acoustic sound, but if I were to play only one, the T-5 would cover it all!

Let me know on the speakers guys, Thanks!!!:

• CMS Author

Unfortunately, my budget is around $1200. I can't afford to get into JBLMRX series.

Since pristine vocals is the goal with our vocal duo, if you all were to choose between Yamaha Club series 15's and JBL JRX15's what do you recommend? Or is it a wash?

If pristine vocals is the goal, either save towards MRX or just buy one for now.

• Members

I think the clubs have the JRX's beat. If for no other reason, clubs have been road warriors for a number of years and I'm not sure of the beating a JRX can take. The 2" titanium tweeter (1" exit still, I've been busted on this :) ) on the clubs does tend to give em more clarity in the vocal range. But the MRX series are much better than either...

I own JBL SRX's for FOH and Yamaha Clubs for monitors...

• Members

Wait ! !

EV has just announced a factory special. Two packages are offered.

ZX-1 Mini package. You get:

2 - ZX-1 8" 2-ways

2 - Padded speaker bags with sholder straps

2 - Speaker stands

Or

ZX-1 Jumbo Package:

2 - ZX-1

2 - Sb122 subs

2 - Sub to top adjustable speaker poles

Padded cases for everything.

Details will be available from your local dealer.

Archived