• Members

What are some esential accessories that you generally won't go to the gig with out? Things like Gaff, Board Tape, Tieline, Adapters/Turnarounds, etc. Where do you guys buy your accessories?

This could be an interesting and informative thread for some newbies and those of us looking for better sorces for the "little" stuff.

• CMS Author

Having batteries, guitar picks, instrument cables and strings when the band doesn't is a good way to make a favorable impression even if it isn't *your* ass on the line when they're forgotten. A tuner to lend is another. Just don't forget it at 2am.

Gaffer, duct, and masking tape.

Nylon zip ties.

Tools...not too good, because they get "borrowed", but good enough to work efficiently.

$100 Fluke meter, and $3 outlet tester. The latter is more important. One of those breaker locaters is something that I don't have that I think would be helpful.

• Members

I'll add these to the list;

I have a bunch of 6X6 inch pieces of plywood and masonite in various thicknesses that I use to level speakers stands or subs when working outside.

Also, I carry a cheap level to check the stands with.

a cable tester (EWI Bugcatcher)

A combiner box that I made that will take a stereo line and turn it into mono, if you can't spare two channels for playback or effectss return

A splitter box that gives me two transformer isolated outputs for when you have to feed someone else a signal.

Spare Fuses

Tie-line- I found some black high strength coated line at a a sporting goods store- It's meant to tie down duck decoys. cheap and indespensible.

• Members

- Ear plugs (I work monitor station a lot)

- Tone generator for driver testing

- Phase checker - you hope you check the rig and your set, but I like to keep it around

- XLR turnarounds (at least 2 of each)

- XLR Y cable

- enough adapters to get stereo RCA to 1/4" and single 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4"

- Wire tool - a decent one - $12 at Lowes/Home Despot

- Whirlwind "Q" box - good for chasing buzzes and hums in the rig

- Digital auto-ranging Multimeter - Sears $50

- work gloves - keeps your hand from getting scratched up when dealing with staging/drum risers, etc.

- Batteries - 9 volt, AA, AAA - band's consume them, but the good PR is worth it.

- thin and regular "sharpie" markers

Festivals: All the above plus:

- Toliet paper

- Cooler with beverages

- snacks

- Tent (or 2) for monitor station & FOH if necessary

- fold out chairs and stools

• Members

Awesome responses so far, but where do you guys buy all your accessories?

I was going to start this thread looking for a good source for gaff tape, board tape, and tieline, but I decided to add the question of what items you guys tote around. If we could get some sources for where to get the items mentioned that would be great.

• Members

I keep a few things always on hand at gigs:

Gaff/board tape

Sharpies

1/4 to XLRM cables (short is fine)

XLRM to 2x XLRF

XLRF to 2x XLRM

zip ties (large and small)

pliers/4in1 screwdriver

1:1 isolation transformer

crappy nady mic (talkback)

1/8 to dual 1/4 cable

CD wallet with a variety of mix cds for break music

headphones (not always)

Speakon couplers (!!!!!!!)

(that reminds me, need to order more stuff from mark)

p

Archived