VAn Halen trainwreck

• Members

WOW!

There is no excuse for that, be it a Professional show or Weekend Warrior's.

I am in the latter and our motto is always "Never Stop" play through the song,

the best that you can and never never let the audience see it on your face!

In a Bar full of drunken people Attitude can save you!

It's like in the wild, don't let the animals see that you are scared!

A Band knows at the end of the night any and every little mistake that they made but if performed well I doubt most people in the audience do, unless it is other musicians at the show!

When I go see other Bands play I can pick out the slightest imperfection and I look around and see that people are dancing, drinking and it went right by them! They are lost in the moment, I sometimes wish that my ear was not so discerning.

I can be having a beer with one of my band mates in a club on our night off (and usually checking it out for another gig) and hear a mistake by the Band playing and we look at each other at the exact same time and acknowledge that yep we both heard it, yet it was oblivious to the normal patrons drinking!

I think that we as fans are more forgiving to our favorite Artists because this is "LIVE" and not the record, "S_ _ t Happens" and it is a True and Real Experience!

If I want total perfection I will put on their CD!

The VH shows have been getting great reviews, how can you really get on their case for one song and a song that is not even their fault!

I'd like to think that WE are more forgiving than that!

You paid all that Money and Time in Anticipation of the coming Concert night that people do not want to acknowledge that it was anything other than Great!

Was "Jump" the very LAST song or did they come back for an Encore and could at least redeem themselves and the SoundCo?

It will surely not happen at another of their shows after this blunder.

I guess that you could say that that Audience got to experience the Reality

in "Live Sound" and had a one of a kind show! Good or Bad!

Maybe they were cheering in their appreciation that VH still tried to do their best for them, in a time that just had to be excruciating for them on stage!

I bet Eddie was just fuming and beside himself!

Like the poster said, there was not a fret on his Guitar that could save him!

I wonder if there was a Pitch dial that the Sound Engineer could have turned slowly to bring it up to pitch, maybe that would have been worse than to just do what they did...get through it!

Bud

• Members

Actually VH accomplished an amazing thing. They took one of the two worst songs ever recorded (the other is "Hot Blooded"/Foreigner) and made it even more horrifyingly awful. Incredible.

Then again, now that I think about it, they may have failed. I could manage to listen through the whole song (at least one time) - for the trainwreck aspect itself if nothing else. There's no way I could make it all the way through the original recording. So, in this way, perhaps they improved the song.

• Moderators

I kind of wonder when things like this happen, why more performers don;t just stop the song, work it out with the techs, apologize to the crowd that they want to get it right for them, because they appreciate the fan support and then go back into the start of the song. It's not like live theater where the scene has to gone on regardless of a tech screw up, IMHO.

• CMS Author

I kind of wonder when things like this happen, why more performers don;t just stop the song, work it out with the techs, apologize to the crowd that they want to get it right for them, because they appreciate the fan support and then go back into the start of the song. It's not like live theater where the scene has to gone on regardless of a tech screw up, IMHO.

Yup. That's a great time to break out the acoustic and a stool, and do a cover of something your audience has never heard from you.

Archived