Half Rack Crossovers

• Moderators

I'm looking for a crossover that fits into a half rack space. The Samson crossover is small, but doesn't fit. I'm fairly confident the Rolls Tiny Crossover does. Is there an old discontinued 1/2 rack I'm not seeing on the bay? Boss? Audio Centron? Is there another new one I don't see on the typical internet dealer sites?

• Moderators
You do not make a market... most folks are more concerned with mechanical suitability for a rack, and the 1/2-rack products aren't so hot in this respect. They tend to fall apart.

Samson and Rolls are making small ones. There must be some kind of market still. FWIW, my wireless unit is 1/2 rack, I have a Boss SE-70 for FX and a Boss Comp (for gating a kick) in a very small LS rig that does not see any rough duty. There's nothing long discontinued to look at when all the 1/2 rack stuff was being made?

• Members

Neither Samson nor Rolls are what I woudl consider major players in the crossover market. If they work for you then great.

Wireless is a different thing, many have decent mechanical fittings and are serving a much higher volume product. Though, under alot of vibration, I find even those units fall apart over time in a way that the full rack units do not.

• Moderators
Neither Samson nor Rolls are what I woudl consider major players in the crossover market. If they work for you then great.

Wireless is a different thing, many have decent mechanical fittings and are serving a much higher volume product. Though, under alot of vibration, I find even those units fall apart over time in a way that the full rack units do not.

My dbx 223 is working just great. Different rig. I just need simple and small. I may just end up going with the Peavey or Crest amp that has a XO built in if there's nothing other than these 2 things.

• Members
I'm looking for a crossover that fits into a half rack space. The Samson crossover is small, but doesn't fit. I'm fairly confident the Rolls Tiny Crossover does. Is there an old discontinued 1/2 rack I'm not seeing on the bay? Boss? Audio Centron? Is there another new one I don't see on the typical internet dealer sites?

I think Audio Centron/Crate had a crossover in their line of 1/3 space units.

• Members

There's also plenty of full rack units that run roughly the same price. Many more if used id considered.

Why exactly are you interested in 1/2-rack? Maybe I'm missing an essential piece of info?

A crossover built into an amp is a good solution too, if it has the features you need.

• Moderators
There's also plenty of full rack units that run roughly the same price. Many more if used id considered.

Why exactly are you interested in 1/2-rack? Maybe I'm missing an essential piece of info?

A crossover built into an amp is a good solution too, if it has the features you need.

It has nothing to do with price. It has to do with space. I have an extra 1/2 rack space, and ditching the XO gives me the ability to switch out a 1 rack sp EQ to my 2 space Peavey 31 band with FLS for monitor duty. The amp with crossover is a definite possibility. I saw your post about the CX series add on. So far it looks like QSC, Crown, Peavey and Mackie have XO options on some amp models.

• Members

I can't remember who might have made them, they just weren't very popular in general and I had no need for making even a mental note.

The original 1/2-rack concept was a good idea that was severely flawed in it's execution. No manufacturers could ever agree on the implimentation of mechanical standards and it all fell apart. It could have been viable in theory, but without real cooperation it was doomed.

Archived