Compression drive diaphragm replacement.

• Members

Be careful around it ... it's toxic.

This is interesting and something I never knew. Here's a couple of questions that might help the OP as well.

What is ferrofluid exactly (I'm guessing rusty silicon lube of some sort)? :D

When you remove the old diaphram I'm sure your depleating some of the original liquid. It seems to me I've seen it available for purchase but do you need to replenish what was lost?

Wow now that I think about it the last Diaphram I replaced was probably better than 10 yrs ago (I must be doing something right) and I'm pretty sure I've just not run into ferrofluid drivers. For regular drivers I'd always run a piece of masking tape (folded sticky side out) around inside the gap before the new coil is inserted to clean out any particles that could rub (what do you do in the case of liquid cooling?)

• CMS Author

This is interesting and something I never knew. Here's a couple of questions that might help the OP as well.

What is ferrofluid exactly (I'm guessing rusty silicon lube of some sort)?
:D

When you remove the old diaphram I'm sure your depleating some of the original liquid. It seems to me I've seen it available for purchase but do you need to replenish what was lost?

Wow now that I think about it the last Diaphram I replaced was probably better than 10 yrs ago (I must be doing something right) and I'm pretty sure I've just not run into ferrofluid drivers. For regular drivers I'd always run a piece of masking tape (folded sticky side out) around inside the gap before the new coil is inserted to clean out any particles that could rub (what do you do in the case of liquid cooling?)

I've never done one of these either, so take it with a grain if salt, but if it were me, I'd flush the gap thoroughly, clean it, then replace with fresh fluid.

• Members

I've never done one of these either, so take it with a grain if salt, but if it were me, I'd flush the gap thoroughly, clean it, then replace with fresh fluid.

That's the way it's supposed to be done. You can't just flush it because it's magnetic. Proper kits come with a special material that removes the old ferrofluid, then you clean the gap replace the FF and install the new diphraghm.

There are FF kits available but you have to use the proper viscosity or you'll screw things up.

Archived