Yorkville LS700P crossover

• Members

Howdy,

I don't start many threads, but I know a number of folks have Yorkville ES700P's and LS700P's. I recently messed around with crossover settings and thought I'd share.

The internal filter is a variable 100Hz - 150Hz. There are 2 problems with it.

1 - The crossover slope doesn't seem very steep. Even when set at 100 Hz it's still letting a TON of 100 - 150 Hz come through. In fact these frequencies are the strongest ones.

2 - The box has a HUGE hump at 100Hz - 125Hz. This is where they get the 130dB output spec.

You can really make these boxes sound more "sub like" by using an external crossover and setting it around 90 Hz. (I was running them at 100 Hz with a good bit of parametric EQ on it, but found out it's really not needed if you just lower the crossover point).

PROS: With the 100 Hz + hump gone you'll hear the lower notes MUCH better. Even though it's set lower, even with a 24 dB per octave slope it's still getting up in the 100 Hz range.

CONS: You'll notice you'll have to raise the volume of the subs. This will lower your total output as you're bringing out the notes the box it less sensitive too. It generally isn't going to be a problem as these boxes do put out a lot of sound for their size, but you'll reach the output limit sooner with all that midbass stuff gone.

Lastly, if you have the ability to put a high pass filter on the subs do it. some crossovers or eq's have that function. I'm not sure if the sub has that built into the DSP or not. Yorkville doesn't say either way. 40 Hz would probably be about right. The box can't really do anything under 50Hz anyway so you're just robbing headroom and making heat feeding the ultra low stuff.

Anyway, you'll likely find that getting all that overpronounced 100Hz - 150Hz stuff out, really cleans up the sound.

• Members

Thanks Sean good to know since I use a pair of LS700P's my self but I use a external x-over as you suggested earlier to me and the main reason I chose them instead of the 720P's was because I'm a bass player with a Ampeg and my Ampeg has 10's and the 10's push more air then the daul 15's bass cab I had. I figured the same apply with the 700P's plus I love the tight punchy bass they have and I know the others go lower but I'm not trying to collapse my audience lungs.:p

• Members

Just came back from a show and had people who see us regularly come up and comment that the sound was even better than usual. They specifically commented on the bass being punchy. I was both happy and a bit ticked that the bass hasn't been as good as it could have been.

I ripped out the Peavey VSX48 I had in the rack and put in a Samson S3 crossover. Was going to go with a DBX, but liked the limiter function. The limiter sounds like a$$ but better to limit than blow something up or scare the hell out of people. We run sound from stage so there's no quick pull back if something oops's. The Samson also has a 25 Hz filter and 2 ms of delay, which are minor features, but still, ones not found in most crossovers.

Anyway, there's a good example of "less is more". A wonderbox with many settings, sometimes is a bad thing, especially if running sound from stage where you can't fiddle around and dial things in.

• Members

Just came back from a show and had people who see us regularly come up and comment that the sound was even better than usual. They specifically commented on the bass being punchy. I was both happy and a bit ticked that the bass hasn't been as good as it could have been.

I ripped out the Peavey VSX48 I had in the rack and put in a Samson S3 compressor. Was going to go with a DBX, but liked the limiter function. The limiter sounds like a$$ but better to limit than blow something up or scare the hell out of people. We run sound from stage so there's no quick pull back if something oops's. The Samson also has a 25 Hz filter and 2 ms of delay, which are minor features, but still, ones not found in most crossovers.

Anyway, there's a good example of "less is more". A wonderbox with many settings, sometimes is a bad thing, especially if running sound from stage where you can't fiddle around and dial things in.

I sold off my DRPA a few years back and replaced it with a simple DBX crossover for the same reasons.

• Members

I ripped out the Peavey VSX48 I had in the rack and put in a Samson S3 compressor. Was going to go with a DBX, but liked the limiter function. The limiter sounds like a$$ but better to limit than blow something up or scare the hell out of people. We run sound from stage so there's no quick pull back if something oops's. The Samson also has a 25 Hz filter and 2 ms of delay, which are minor features, but still, ones not found in most crossovers.

So your using the Samson on the whole mix set up for a brick wall limiter only:confused: BTW only tools I work with is a x-over a 215 eq for foh and 231eq for wedges that's it. Almost bought a DBX drive rack but scrolling thru menus is not my favorite ideal of setting up a system :rolleyes: but to each his own. Guess I'm just old fashion;) I like reaching over turning a slider or a knob and I'm done. Same thing with my home studio I had a DAW and became a PITA sold it off bought a Soundcraft mixer some old out board gear and Alesis HD24XR and just hit the record button and start tracking besides IMO the out of the box mixes sound more natural then in the box mixes with the virtual mixer I had with the DAW. Anyway appreciate the heads up again. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the Info. I use the LS700p and the Samson S3 crossover set at 90 just like you said, but you just saved me from doing a dumb thing, I was going to run my main L & R to to the xover then HI out to my tops then a aux. send direct to my Subs bypassing the xover just to see what it would sound like. Right now what seems to work best for me is I run the my left main to one side of the xover take the Hi out to my tops then run the Right to the other side of Xover just use the low out to my LS700Ps Pan accordingly. Just curious how do you run yours? Dual Mono Hi out Lo Out ?

• Members

Thanks for the Info. I use the LS700p and the Samson S3 crossover set at 90 just like you said, but you just saved me from doing a dumb thing, I was going to run my main L & R to to the xover then HI out to my tops then a aux. send direct to my Subs bypassing the xover just to see what it would sound like. Right now what seems to work best for me is I run the my left main to one side of the xover take the Hi out to my tops then run the Right to the other side of Xover just use the low out to my LS700Ps Pan accordingly. Just curious how do you run yours? Dual Mono Hi out Lo Out ?

That's exactly how I run mine. It frees up an Aux so I can use dual effects (Aux 5-6 on the Mixwiz).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I stumbled over this thread after doing a search on settings for the LS700P. Thank you abzurd. I don't have a crossover, but I used your report here to change my configuration for my vdrums.

I now run the kick to the left out and the snare and cymbals to the right out on the vdrum module. Each goes to a separate channel on my mixer where I cut the highs and mids for the kick channel and the lows for the snare and cymbal channel. I pan the kick hard left and run the left out to my LS700P.

Man, it sounds so much better now. I always wondered if I had made a mistake buying the sub. It used to sound just so-so. Now it is much more resonant. The snare and cymbal channel runs directly to the top. I used to run the top out of the sub.

And I can't help wondering. I used to think the 700P had a crossover or highpass filter in it. Now I am not so sure. The top sounds much better now too.

So thanks again.

Rene

• Members

That will get the lows into the kick, but doesn't give the kick any attack. You really need the kick in both. So what I'm saying is don't cut the highs and mids and don't pan hard left. Try the kick at 12 O' clock.

Do yourself a favor and just get a crossover. Peavey, DOD and Samson all sell pretty cheap ones. The LS700P sounds best crossed around 90 or so. There's just too much midbass in the built in filter. Even set at 100Hz a ton of 150+ is getting through. You'll have to drive the sub with a higher signal as you'll notice the output wil drop (because all that 150Hz junk is missing). You'll notice it sounds like a real sub now with a thud instead of a woof.

For what it's worth, I just used my new RCF 705AS subs tonight. I liked them a lot. I'll still use the LS700P's for when I need 4 subs, but that's only 4-5 times a year.

• Members

I've been running my four ls700ps crossovered at between 85hz and 90hz for years .alittle smile face equalizing between 50hz and 250hz ,i concentrate on smoothing out the sub's inherent hump around these frequencies. the sub sounds much better this way, but like absurd said you will have to turn the volume up alittle because of a small output loss. this will not be a problem due the subs high output. Absurd, how does the rcf 705a compare to the ls700p's?

• Members

Funny, I was just thinking about bringing the sub back to center this morning while I was lying in bed.

As far as the power, before I would barely turn the sub up and it would begin to sound really bad, almost flatulent. So I am not too worried about having to crank it up a bit. Actually would like to be able to do that.

I could get a crossover, but lately I jam and gig with acoustics and I am waiting for the TD-20 expansion card and DFHS 2.0 and I have a wife and three kids...

Oh well, life is good. Just have to make choices sometimes.

Thanks guys.

This was a real big help.

Rene

• Members

I've been running my four ls700ps crossovered at between 85hz and 90hz for years .alittle smile face equalizing between 50hz and 250hz ,i concentrate on smoothing out the sub's inherent hump around these frequencies. the sub sounds much better this way, but like absurd said you will have to turn the volume up alittle because of a small output loss. this will not be a problem due the subs high output. Absurd, how does the rcf 705a compare to the ls700p's?

I'm going to write up a little review and put in another thread.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Well, I'm glad I found this thread about 12 years late. Can't wait to try these settings out. I've never been happy with how the subs sound, but I've also never ran them with a crossover. I just sent full range to both, running them parallel.

Archived