New poster needs help with Lav. Mic.

• Members

Hay All,

This is my second post so sorry ahead of time if there is any issue. Here is my situation, my church just purchased a Audio Tech. UHF Lav Mic. (I can get more specs if needed) It sounds great and has no interference from radio or cb....ect. that I know of, but what is happening is every 10min there is a loud pop/snap sound(very loud). I thought that it might be static, so I sprayed static guard and it only help a little ( now a pop every 15min ) I also purchased a 120v outlet filters and plug isolators by Monster, thinking that it might be interference from the other equipment traveling through the wiring. (more info on other equipment/mixer..ect if needed) The transmitter is over 6' from any electronics and is never closer then 6' or farther then 25' from the receiver. I have it down to 15-20 min now, but as you can imagine I am going to give someone a heart attack during church with this noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Members

Is the receiver a diversity system? You can tell by whether it has one antenna or two. It is not uncommon to have pops and clicks on non-diversity wireless systems due to multipath interference inside a building that has many of corners, walls, big structures, etc.

What is the model number?

• Members

Thank you for replying. The transmitter has two antennas, I will have to check for the model number. What is the difference between two antennas and only one? Thanks for the reply, and I will re-post later as soon as I get the numbers you requested. ( I will get all numbers associated with the kit )

• Members

The transmitter has two antennas, I will have to check for the model number. What is the difference between two antennas and only one?

You mean the RECEIVER has two antennas (or is it antennae -- anyone remember Latin from high school?) Which means it is a diversity receiver -- two separate RF receivers in one box catching the same transmitted signal from the beltpack.

I think being a uhf AND diversity, me thinks it's unusual to get random pops due to interference. I've only had that happen to me on Shure UC handhelds where the circuit board was loose inside the housing (housing serves as antenna), probably due to mic being dropped.

I don't know when and where you bought your mics, or what UHF band, but I hope whoever sold them to you gave you the right freq band for your locale. This is pretty important. So let us know what band/freq your mics are using.

One obvious to check: make sure the battery is in compartment good and tight. Make sure the battery +/- contacts on the body pack are not "pushed in" so as not to make a tight contact. Also make sure you use good Alkaline cells. Never use rechargeable AA or 9V -- the voltage is often too low. I only go with Duracell or Energizer.

If the receiver has RF meters, try to observe if you lose both RF meters when this pop happens.

• Members

Some wireless receivers have two antennae, but are not true diversity, there's only one receiving circuit behind the panel.

With some diversity systems there is the "donut hole effect' where they don't work so well if you're too close.

• Members

two antennas (or is it antennae -- anyone remember Latin from high school?)

Veni, Vidi, Vici ...;)

Radios have antennas. Bugs have antennae

I suspect your problem is most likely mechanical. Try setting it on a table and running it for an hour to see if the noise goes away. You are probably stressing the cable of jacks ... or maybe shaking something inside the transmitter.

• Members

Also check the squelch control if your receiver has one. It works pretty much like a CB or walkie talkie squelch: you need to set it high enough so the receiver doesn't falsely open up on some weak, nearby signals or interference centered around the same freq. Most modern receivers should not have this problem as they use coded squelch tones which are more robust.

Archived