countryman DI

• Members

i had a couple of these today to use and was impressed, (type 85?).

i dont get excited about DI's but these sounded great compared to the rapcos i also used; i had 6 identical instruments and the ones on the countryman's sounded a lot better. i assume piezo pickups in some norwegian too-many-strings instruments.

• Members

I think you experienced the wrong tool for the job rather than the fact that the Countryman is an excellent DI.

Piezo pickups require an active DI, which the Rapcos are not. That is the problem.

Had you used another active for comparison, say Mark's, the difference would have been very, very small.

Had you used the Countryman or Rapco on an active source, the difference would have also been very small (the Rapco would have been a bit lower noise).

Not fair nor accurate to say the Rapco was a poor (or lower quality DI) since you were comparing apples to oranges.

• CMS Author

And of course theres always the Mint Box Buffer
:)

Not to be a PITA, but did you get permission from the site owner to link that here? I notice he requests anyone linking his page ask first. Don't wanna have any bad feelings.

Cool little DI, looks like even *I* could manage to build one (you have no idea how many projects like this I've built and wound up with an impressive, but inoperative, device.

• CMS Author

Kinda like those old Radio Shack Science Kits with the spring terminals. :poke:

Egg-zachary....!

As a kid I was into model trains (yeah, I know:facepalm:) and one day I got my copy of Model Railroader and saw this article about a cool SCR-controlled throttle. It was a pretty simple design, and by some miracle I happened to have enough money and access to all of the parts needed, since they listed Radio Shack part numbers. I ran out and bought everything, and soldered up the mess on a perfboard. Nothing. I replaced the SCR. Nothing. I replaced each part. Nothing.

My dad worked for Litton at the time, and brought the board and the article to work, and the engineers had a look at it and scoped the thing. Nothing. These guys were doing gov't top secret contract work, and they were completely stumped...they removed each part and tested. Everything was in spec. The circuit was also a "good" design and should have done what it was intended to do.

It was long time before I attempted another electronic project. That one didn't work either.

I'm also not very "lucky" with small engines such as chain saws and weed-wackers. I can do *anything* with car, truck and motorcycle mills. Anything at all. But stick a 20cc motor on my bench, and I'll have problems. Big-uns.....:lol:

• Members

Not to be a PITA, but did you get permission from the site owner to link that here? I notice he requests anyone linking his page ask first. Don't wanna have any bad feelings.

Oh crap, I'm sorry, I never noticed :eek:

Funny thing is I was sure it was on this forum I originally found it.

Anyone can find the page again by googling for "Mint box piezo buffer", its the top result.

Steve.

• Members

Cool little DI, looks like even *I* could manage to build one (you have no idea how many projects like this I've built and wound up with an impressive, but inoperative, device.

Irony: When a moderator complains about a link in a user's post, and then quotes the link in his reply so that even after the user removes it, it's still there.

• CMS Author

Oh crap, I'm sorry, I never noticed
:eek:

Funny thing is I was sure it was on this forum I originally found it.

Anyone can find the page again by googling for "
Mint box piezo buffer
", its the top result.

Steve.

Just drop the author a note asking. Should be no problem. Might even be the first time anyone bothered asking.:rolleyes:

Archived