Thoughts on an old power mixer

• Members

There's a local pawn shop with a Peavey XR 1600C that's been there for months. I have not fired it up but the unit looks very clean. The asking price is $169.00 but since it's been there for so long they would very likely come down considerably.

I am not familiar with that unit so a couple of questions.

If it's fully functional what would be a reasonable offer?

Are the preamps reasonably decent?

Would the unit work for LoFi recording without powering speakers, ie; as a desk mixer?

How would it work as an occasional monitor amp?

How about as a main amp in a back yard type situation where more inputs are needed than my solo gig system?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Members

In its day the XR1600c was a very good mixer. It has 2 - 250 watt fan cooled at 4 0hm amps built in. Draws air from the bottom , out the vents on the top. Basic low/mid/high eq with monitor/effects sends. Spring reverb inside as well. Allot of patching is available. I also liked the direct send per channel on it. I had both a Xr1200c and an XR1600c with no problems. I'll have to look it up but the 1600 was around $1400 dollars new. $160 if working and in good shape is a steal if you can use it. Check ebay. Search Peavey XR.

• Members

There's usually a very good reason something sits on the shelf for a very long time. This is one of those instances.

Well, thanks for that insight.

You don't suppose the extremely high unemployment rate in this area has anything to do with no one having the money to buy?

• Members

In its day the XR1600c was a very good mixer. It has 2 - 250 watt fan cooled at 4 0hm amps built in. Draws air from the bottom , out the vents on the top. Basic low/mid/high eq with monitor/effects sends. Spring reverb inside as well. Allot of patching is available. I also liked the direct send per channel on it. I had both a Xr1200c and an XR1600c with no problems. I'll have to look it up but the 1600 was around $1400 dollars new. $160 if working and in good shape is a steal if you can use it. Check ebay. Search Peavey XR.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

I think I can use it, especially if it can be used as a LoFi desk recoding mixer.

I also think I can get it for under $150.00.

I'll probably wait until next month, go in and hook it up for a demo. It all seems to work offer a buck and a quarter.

• Members

Thanks for the sarcasm. Maybe next month you'll understand that I was helping you.

Your initial response was, IMHO, sarcastic since I asking, in my case valid questions, none that were addressed by you. The unemployment rate in my immediate area is over 13% with negative job growth. Housing decline is among the worst in the nation. A really great environment for moving non-essential goods. You should see the construction tools and equipment that has been on the shelf even longer. I guess that wouldn't be worth looking at either since it's been unsold for such a long time.

So, no, your response was not of any help what so ever. It was your opinion yet you neglected to give anything remotely supporting that opinion. If it's time on the shelf you're forgetting something. In real life the length of time any given article is on the shelf, with few exceptions and other than perishables, doesn't mean the article isn't worth looking at. Were that a fact NOS wouldn't be a consideration for anyone to even think about. Granted while this particular piece of gear is not NOS the premise remains the same. If NOS is worth looking at so is older used gear.

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't buy it myself because reselling it would be near impossible. It's big, heavy and clunky for what it is. Craig's suggestion was a good one... it's not a very desireable piece BUT if you have a use for it and it works and the price seems right to YOU, then maybe it's the right piece for your needs.

• Members

I think there were at least two incarnations of the xr1600, the newer black one and the older greenish, maybe even a real old black/brown model .

drawbacks; big, heavy, unknown history, unknown issues.

the other thing is you don't want something that could go bad on you at a gig. recording is one thing, all kinds of time.

benefits; lots of stuff for $150 bucks. some amount of utility.

as far as a recording mixer..hmm, not sure. my opinion is to get good quality everything , only size it to what you may need. you're always being judged on your quality of sound, whether it be recorded or live. sure, the performance and all that matters most. "yea, and i did this track on my $150 peavey 1980s mixer" may be a decent disclaimer for the average recipient but...

• Members

I'd take some time to familiarize yourself with the weight of that board before purchase.

It is sorta the love child of the old CS400 and Mark series mixer, and weighs about what you would expect from a product housing both in a single enclosure.

You can get a general notion of the ownership experience of that board (without having to spring for one) by volunteering to help a neighbor move his hide-a-bed up a staircase with an awkward turn in the middle.

• CMS Author

Your initial response was, IMHO, sarcastic since I asking, in my case valid questions, none that were addressed by you. The unemployment rate in my immediate area is over 13% with negative job growth. Housing decline is among the worst in the nation. A really great environment for moving non-essential goods. You should see the construction tools and equipment that has been on the shelf even longer. I guess that wouldn't be worth looking at either since it's been unsold for such a long time.

So, no, your response was not of any help what so ever. It was your opinion yet you neglected to give anything remotely supporting that opinion. If it's time on the shelf you're forgetting something. In real life the length of time any given article is on the shelf, with few exceptions and other than perishables, doesn't mean the article isn't worth looking at. Were that a fact NOS wouldn't be a consideration for anyone to even think about. Granted while this particular piece of gear is not NOS the premise remains the same. If NOS is worth looking at so is older used gear.

I addressed your post in a succinct and serious manner. You assume I was being sarcastic, but was not.

I never said your questions weren't valid. I also didn't say the mixer wasn't worth *looking at*. I said it's on the shelf for a reason. Priced too high. Too big. Too old. Doesn't work 100%. Isn't very good even when it works 100%. All of the above. Without even seeing it I know it fits several of those reasons for sitting unsold.

I'd offer 50 bucks if it's fully functional. Not a penny more. Use the rest for a hand truck.

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't buy it myself because reselling it would be near impossible. It's big, heavy and clunky for what it is. Craig's suggestion was a good one... it's not a very desireable piece BUT if you have a use for it and it works and the price seems right to YOU, then maybe it's the right piece for your needs.

Well, selling is probably not an issue. If it functions and I end up making an offer on it that is accepted it will more likely than not out live me.

Big and clunky won't for the most part matter since it won't get moved much.

I would have a use for it, at some times and some places. I have my easy to transport solo rig.

Obviously a purchase would very much depend on acceptance of an offer and it's functionality.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Members

I'd take some time to familiarize yourself with the weight of that board before purchase.

It is sorta the love child of the old CS400 and Mark series mixer, and weighs about what you would expect from a product housing both in a single enclosure.

You can get a general notion of the ownership experience of that board (without having to spring for one) by volunteering to help a neighbor move his hide-a-bed up a staircase with an awkward turn in the middle.

Good advice IMO.

• Members

FWIW, a used RQ2314 or RQ2318 probably can be found for $50-100 more than $169.

That would be money much better spent.

A buddy offered to give me a RAMSA WR last week. I couldn't turn him down fast enough -- and I'd much rather have that than the Peavey.

• Members

I think there were at least two incarnations of the xr1600, the newer black one and the older greenish, maybe even a real old black/brown model .

drawbacks; big, heavy, unknown history, unknown issues.

the other thing is you don't want something that could go bad on you at a gig. recording is one thing, all kinds of time.

benefits; lots of stuff for $150 bucks. some amount of utility.

as far as a recording mixer..hmm, not sure. my opinion is to get good quality everything , only size it to what you may need. you're always being judged on your quality of sound, whether it be recorded or live. sure, the performance and all that matters most. "yea, and i did this track on my $150 peavey 1980s mixer" may be a decent disclaimer for the average recipient but...

Thanks. This unit is black and I'm aware of the lack of knowledge about it's history and potential issues upon warm up.

Weight is no concern since it will more than likely sit in the same place it's first placed.

It's not planned to gig with it and though I mentioned the possibility of use as a back up monitor amp that is not likely to occur since a back up system is already in place in the situation I was thinking about and any backyard use would be my backyard where I'd enlist the help of other people in getting it moved to the back yard.

The recording use would certainly not be for creating salable CDs, rather as mentioned, LoFi stuff to send to my family and to record the back yard stuff for posterity for the participants.

I appreciate your input.

• Members

Heh...Yeah, I get that but again this isn't something I plan on moving or toting to gigs. It'll get transported to my home and reside therein and if it's does get transported to the backyard others will do the toting.

Thanks for that.

• Members

I addressed your post in a succinct and serious manner. You assume I was being sarcastic, but was not.

I never said your questions weren't valid. I also didn't say the mixer wasn't worth *looking at*. I said it's on the shelf for a reason. Priced too high. Too big. Too old. Doesn't work 100%. Isn't very good even when it works 100%. All of the above. Without even seeing it I know it fits several of those reasons for sitting unsold.

I'd offer 50 bucks if it's fully functional. Not a penny more. Use the rest for a hand truck.

Thank you Craig I appreciate that you've given your reasons.

Some of your remarks contradict what another responder who has owned one of the units in question posted but I'll certainly take your thoughts in mind.

As to your 50 bone offer suggestion I will certainly take it into consideration. I do have hand trucks and dollies that will carry the weight. ;)

I'm also not dead set on making an offer but, as mentioned before, if it functions fully I will probably make an offer but taking your recommendation into consideration it would be considerably less than I was originally thinking.

Now, wouldn't giving that kind of reply as your initial response saved us going through the back and forth we have?

• CMS Author

Now, wouldn't giving that kind of reply as your initial response saved us going through the back and forth we have?

Not assuming I was being sarcastic would have accomplished that. :idea:

I didn't think this needed all that much explanation. I'd never consider a monstrosity like this for recording. It's bigger than some home studios and many control rooms.

• Members

Well Craig, since I'm not a professional in the business and don't profess to know everything there is to know about every single piece of equipment in existence as you seem to, when I ask questions I would expect a reason for a particular opinion, even if that opinion is such as your first response.

Your first response did not give reasons as to why you thought it was on the shelf too long though you did on your recent reply some opinions were, as mentioned, were contradicted by another responder.

So, who am I going to believe, someone who has owned a like unit, or a guy who always seems to have his panties in a bunch?

• Members

One guy thought it was cool, a bunch of us gave another opinion. I've serviced them and they are a bitch to work on when they do need work and require a pretty big service bench due to how they open up. I would expect there to be some problems, mostly intermittent problems so keep that in mind when chevcking it out.

It may be a good deal for you. If not, you are only out some "pocket change". Not a big deal I assume.

• Members

One guy thought it was cool, a bunch of us gave another opinion. I've serviced them and they are a bitch to work on when they do need work and require a pretty big service bench due to how they open up. I would expect there to be some problems, mostly intermittent problems so keep that in mind when chevcking it out.

It may be a good deal for you. If not, you are only out some "pocket change". Not a big deal I assume.

Thanks again agedhorse I always appreciate your advise and knowledge and will certainly keep your input in mind when I go back, if I go back. May well be something else could very well crop up that would be a better place for the money I have scrimped up to spend on something at is of interest to me, even if it's not the best buy or deal for someone else.

From the looks of the unit it has not been gigged much though I did not go over it with a fine toothed comb all knobs were there and looked to be straight with no bent shafts, same with the sliders, no obvious scratches or dings and I would certainly try to have it lit up for some length of time.

Money's always an issue since I'm on limited income.

Heck, if I do end up with it and it craps out the knobs, pots & some other parts may well be salable.

Who knows, it may not be there if and when I go back and then this whole thing is moot.

• CMS Author

Well Craig, since I'm not a professional in the business and don't profess to know everything there is to know about every single piece of equipment in existence as you seem to, when I ask questions I would expect a reason for a particular opinion, even if that opinion is such as your first response.

Your first response did not give reasons as to why you thought it was on the shelf too long though you did on your recent reply some opinions were, as mentioned, were contradicted by another responder.

So, who am I going to believe, someone who has owned a like unit, or a guy who always seems to have his panties in a bunch?

Is this "let's attack the moderator", or is there some reason for your attitude towards me in this thread in general, and the personal attacks in this post in particular?

• Members

There won't be any bent knobs... they should be plastic shafts. They break before they bend.

The parts are worth nothing. Zero. I {censored}canned several thousand parts of this type because I couldn't even give them away. You want some (really good) channel strips from a real console? They are yours for the cost of shipping.

Archived