Newbie - speakers, Peavey SP2 vs EV SX100 or others???

• Members

Hello! I am looking for help deciding on PA speakers for my semi-geezer band (avg age 50). We play just for fun / parties at my house, in my large music basement (25 x 35). Guitar, bass, organ, drums, vocals (1-3). Music is 60's and 70's rock stuff.

We use our PA for vocals only, lots of harmonies. I need clear crisp vocal reproduction.

Here's what I have currently:

Bi-amped system

Mixer: Yamaha MG124CX

Driverack PA

Crown CE2000 (lows)

Samson 260 (highs)

My speakers were JBL SR4732X - but these were monsters in weight, and way over-matched for what I need. (I've moved three times and these are heavier than a cement truck). Funds were tight so I was glad to sell them. NOW I need replacements.

I have been looking at 2 options: Peavey SP2 and EV SX100. The Peaveys are biampable and I always liked the RX22 drivers. The EV's are not but I could always open the boxes and hot-wire to be biamp. (I really like the flexibility of biamping). Power handling seems to favor the Peaveys.

My budget is topped at $1,000 total (pair).

What do you think, or am I missing other options.

• Members

I would take a serious look at the K series from QSC. I heard them the other night and they sounded great. About two weeks before that I isaw Virgil Cain a one man band play and he was using the qsc speakers too. I would think two k10s would rock the hell out of any basement and much simpler and lighter if you play out. I have elite 12s and they are great but if I was buying new I would go with qsc series powered. Makes the whole operation much simpler and if these pro musicians are using them that speaks tons. They are just slightly out of your budget maybe a pair of k10s for 1300. No more biamping and really all you need is a board.

• Members

If you like the SP2 look at Peavey's "lightweight" version - the Impulse 1012. They are 44 lbs and under $500 each. They use the same drivers as the SP2 (BWX, RX22) and are wired for biamp or passive xover. OTOH these can get stupid loud and for your application a pair of PR-12's would still get stupid loud and they are only $170 each. I've used a single pair of PR-10's outdoors for a classic rock band and they did the job (barely :)). The PR-12's get louder...

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions!

I looked into the Impulse 1012 speaker, seems very nice, I'm leaning that direction.

But nobody has any love for the EV SX100?

I love mine! Lightweight and great sound. I must have had them for 10-15 years. I recently got a pair of SX300 too and they are also great.

• Members

We have a pair of the EV SX300's and a pair of the EV ZX-1's.

It may seem hard to believe, but the ZX1 is the better sounding box. It has better highs and better lows (and I NEVER expected it to have better lows). It is half the cost and half the weight of the SX300. The SX300 is a louder box, but not that much louder (especially for vocals in a basement).

You should seriously put the ZX1 on your audition list. At 18 pounds and $300 each, they are worth a listen.

• Members

I looked into the Impulse 1012 speaker, seems very nice, I'm leaning that direction.

I'll show some love to the EV SX series I own their SXA 360 active series great speaker. :thu:

I would use the EV SX over Peavey any day not saying Peavey is a bad product just my preference. I owned Peavey PR series in the past sure they get stupid loud but not the best sounding speaker compare to the Yorkie NX35's I replace them with then replace the Yokville NX35's with the EV SXA 360

I was planing on buying K series but I was recommended that their more aimed for Deejay application and the 1000w looks good on paper but in the real world when your dealing with open drum mics and guitar cab mics and front line vocal mics that 1000 shrivels down pretty quick. Sure they may get a 1000w with programmed music,but then again EV claim the same with their SXA 360 model when on a 4ohm load. What puzzled me about the EV claim their active speaker how in the heck do get them on a 4ohm load with the amp already built in. I'm assuming that meant daisy chaining 2 together I dunno just a weird claim IMO, but anyway, I love my new EV's their crystal clear and dish out plenty of SPL to keep up with my Yorkie subs (LS700P).

Good luck on what ever you decide I will give you a thumbs up with going active less headaches to worry about esp. if your mixing from the stage like I do and can't afford a decent sound man because the gig pay just doesn't pay enough to cover a decent sound man fee. :cry:

• Members

I use EV SX100+e speakers for a duo (vocals, acoustic guitar, and keyboard). They are amazing speakers. The vocals are exceptionally clear. If you are looking for clear vocals, these speakers are highly recommended. On the other hand, if you're committed to bi-amping, these probably aren't the speakers for you.

• Members

Just received my EV 100+ a couple weeks ago. Great sound for a smaller setup. I'm over 50, so at 32 lbs each, they're a perfect weight.

All I need now is a lighter cab for my bass setup, but that's another story.

• Members

ZX1 is an 8" driver and a DH2005 HF. Great sounding box but will not have the LF extention and overall volume of an SX100 or 300. If you're looking at SP2's I'd consider the SX300 in passive mode. The crossover is great sounding and will free up some amps and cables. If you are not using subs look at the ZX4 or ZX5 since it's a 15 +1" (or 1.4").

• Members

QSC's number claim is not realistic IMO, but that shouldn't discount them as a viable choice. It has nothing to do with DJ or playback applications. You need to try them out for your application to see if they work for you.

Then what are you saying:confused: here's what you quoted awhile back about canned music.

Adding open mics to the equation along with loud monitors that may be somewhat questionable in quality will always be more difficult to get loud than canned music.

Compression during masterin helps the recorded material but reduces GBF for live music because the live scenario is closed loop, the recorded scenario is open loop. Stability will always be greater in an open loop scenario.[/quote

• Members

ZX1 is an 8" driver and a DH2005 HF. Great sounding box but will not have the LF extention and overall volume of an SX100 or 300. If you're looking at SP2's I'd consider the SX300 in passive mode. The crossover is great sounding and will free up some amps and cables. If you are not using subs look at the ZX4 or ZX5 since it's a 15 +1" (or 1.4").

Hmm. That's what I suspected. The SX300 or even 100 work great for our 6 piece jazz unit. We have voice, sax, and acoustic bass through them and it sounds great. I guess the ZX1 would make a decent monitor too .

• Members

Thanks for all the help!

I decided to go with the EV SX100.

Did some googling.

Found the SX300's for $465, wow, MF wanted $599.

Since I had a decent credit balance with MF I called them and asked if they could match the price. On hold for a long time while they checked about that much of a discount. Came back on the line and said we can match, BUT, we are seeing them for $420 and that's what we'll match.

I asked 3 times "these are the SX300's right?" - yep, they said.

We'll see what shows up at my door next week.

Thanks again, you folks have been a huge help.

Don Z

• Members

Twostone, to answer your question, I was referring to the comment that the QSC K series speakers "1000" watt claim may not be accurate or realistic BUT that doesn't mean they should not be considered because if they are really a 500-600 watt powered speaker (ignoring the 500 watt HF amp claim), it may still be a good speaker for many applications.

Even though some folks claim they are "DJ speakers", they are priimarily live speakers that may be successfully be used for DJ and playback work.

Hope this clarifies.

• Members

ZX1 is an 8" driver and a DH2005 HF. Great sounding box but will not have the LF extention and overall volume of an SX100 or 300.

Probably true, but the ZX1 has such a good timbre and intelligibility that it can easily be perceived as a "loud" and/or "better sounding" box.

• Members

Twostone, to answer your question, I was referring to the comment that the QSC K series speakers "1000" watt claim may not be accurate or realistic BUT that doesn't mean they should not be considered because if they are really a 500-600 watt powered speaker (ignoring the 500 watt HF amp claim), it may still be a good speaker for many applications.

Even though some folks claim they are "DJ speakers", they are priimarily live speakers that may be successfully be used for DJ and playback work.

Hope this clarifies.

Gottcha :thu:

Archived