Noob Question about single speaker and mic

• Members

Is it possible to just hook a microphone directly up to a speaker? Would it be able to be heard over a drum and guitar?

I don't play any gigs or anything, this is just for fun so I don't really need a whole PA system and was wondering if this was a possible alternative.

Thanks.

• Members

Most powered speakers have a built in mixer section that will take both line or mic level signals. Some are better then others but most should be able to do what you want.

Look for a used JBL EON15G2. They are loud and could be had on the used market very reasonably.

Oh course, a lot depends on the drums and guitar you need to get over. If they are obnoxiously loud you will need a better quality speaker. How much do you want to spend?

• Members

I'd be willing to spend about a 100 to 200. 200 only if I really have to, like if there is nothing reasonable for 100.

The drums and guitars aren't unreasonably loud either. The guitars are loud enough to be heard over the drums and the drums don't play anything that really requires some...force?.

• Members

Wow, just saw the price of that bad boy. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff so I'm not sure if I can get anything for the amount of cash I have. If I can't looks like I'll just have to bit the bullet or not get a speaker haha.

Would the Phonic Powerpod 410/S710 PA System do the trick?

Thanks.

• Members

Try Craigslist or local pawn shops. You might be able to get something decent in the higher end of your price range. I don't believe there is anything new that will do what you need in that price range. Bad economies are generally good for musicians who still have jobs. A lot of decent gear is getting liquidated.

I've seen used EON15G2s in the $175 to $200 range.

• Members

If you can't find anything used, consider a Behringer B212A powered speaker

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B212A-Active-2Way-Loudspeaker?sku=600735

Behringer products don't get a lot of love in this forum, but I've heard this speaker is pretty decent. If you ever do start gigging, you could use it as a monitor.

• Members

Buy a used $100 guitar or Keyboard amp & use a high Impedance Mic with 1/4in jack into it.

I might think that a keyboard amp with a mioc input might work out, but I would not get a guitar amp for vocals.

I would not consider a mic with a 1/4" input either.

• Members

Is the 100-200 budget just the powered speaker, or is it the mic as well?

If it includes the mic then forget it. A decent quality mic will suck up at least $70 of that budget (the better the quality mic = better quality sound and less feedback, particularly with no mixer you will need that).

• Members

I'd be willing to spend about a 100 to 200.

:(

I don't really recommend this, but it's about as close to your budget as a new speaker would be? Check craigslist or whatever for used powered speakers. Ask your local music shops if they have any used powered speakers.

I would shoot for this, myself. I'm thinking of picking one up for myself.

Archived