Using Compression in live sound

• Members

Hello I am thinking about using compression in my system: My system is as follows:

1 Crown Itech-4000 powering 2 Yorkville U215 in stereo mode @ 4 Ohms

1 Crown Itech-4000 powering 2 EV QRX218S Subs in Stereo mode @ 4 Ohms

I will be running my subs as Aux fed subs via Aux 3 & 4.

I will set the crossover on my amp to (35Hz -90Hz) for subs and a high pass filter at 90Hz for my tops.

The Itechs come with a compression function. I want to use it to revent clipping my amp and to achive a better sounding system.

For my tops amplifier it is clipping when the singer is screeming in the volcal mic.

For my bottom amp. There is no clipping but I was opping that comprassion might help tighten my kick drum and reduce the amplifer's load.

I am not too familure with compression and would like som help please. Any recommendations?

• Members

I'm not familiar with those Crown amps. My QSC's have limiting built in to protect my speakers (which I readily engage).

A question though...why do your need two aux buss' for your aux fed subs. I can't imagine there is any necessary stereo imaging in the sub spectrum...could be wrong...just asking.:confused:

• Members

You are overpowering your tops already and clipping their amp. Stop! you don't have enough rig for the gig. Compression will make it worse on those speakers as you will just be raising the average power they see, and they are past where they should be now. Your subs are in the right power range. A compressor will not reduce the load on the amp, whatever that means to you.

Engage the limiters on the Itechs. They have one of the best limiters available. Use it. Forget the compression.

• Members

The tops are rated at 1600W program @ 4 Ohms. The Itech puts out 2000W @ 4 Ohms. and it does not clip all the time only wjen there is a peek like a sudden scream in the vocals. So am I still overpowering the tops? I dont know if the amp has built in input signal limiter. It has an average power limiter. Is that the same thing? If so What should I be setting it to? 1600W?

Thanks

• Members

The tops are rated at 1600W program @ 4 Ohms. The Itech puts out 2000W @ 4 Ohms. and it does not clip all the time only wjen there is a peek like a sudden scream in the vocals. So am I still overpowering the tops? I dont know if the amp has built in input signal limiter. It has an average power limiter. Is that the same thing? If so What should I be setting it to? 1600W?

Thanks

Ummmm, this is exactly why I mentioned it. You are quite OVERpowered and then when you drive the system that hard you are close to damage on your speakers (if you haven't damaged them already).

The limiter is for practical purposes exactly the same thing. Use it, adn I would set it to -3dB, or 1000 watts into your 800 watt speakers.

You might want to search here for some insightful discussions regarding power ratings, power handling and what it all means.

• Members

Sounds more like you need a compressor on vocals, or a singer with better mic technique.

Set the limiters correctly on your amps so that you never see clip lights, and don't use compression on the mains.

:thu: Yep my thinking as well esp. for a screamer and bad mic technique.

Archived