Short tripod mic stands

• Members

So my order of a bunch of new K&M stands came in today and as I was standing there checking the receipt to make sure I had everything, I remembered wondering why the short ones cost almost $30 more.

Tall K&M stands (210/9) were $79.99 ea, and the short ones (255) 104.99 ea. I wanted the 259's (short, extendable boom) but the 255's (long extendable boom) were all they had in their system. The long boom is kind of annoying but oh well, awesome stands.

So, why do the short stands cost so much more?

• Members

So my order of a bunch of new K&M stands came in today and as I was standing there checking the receipt to make sure I had everything, I remembered wondering why the short ones cost almost $30 more.

Tall K&M stands (210/9) were $79.99 ea, and the short ones (255) 104.99 ea. I wanted the 259's (short, extendable boom) but the 255's (long extendable boom) were all they had in their system. The long boom is kind of annoying but oh well, awesome stands.

Extra labor to cut the tall ones down? :)

• Members

You can probably get them for less than that if you shop around online, but it probably has to do with the fact that it is a 'specialty' stand.

Have you tried Audiopile's 'Shorty?' At 1/4 the cost it certainley is a contender for being a better value.

• Members

MogWix, you know these guys?

http://www.economik.com/km/259-1-black/

Out-of-province, you pay only GST I believe.

• Members

After taxes, shipping, and exchange rate the stands work out to about a little more than I paid.

I got my stands from L&M, needed them kinda quick. I usually get my stands from a place in Hamilton, but they're no longer a dealer for K&M.

All the prices were the same, anyways though really. I don't want to deal with shipping them, gets expensive and fast.

• Members

Neat, well if there's no shipping charge well that's pretty slick.

I'll keep them in mind next time I order stands, thanks.

edit: These stands are the ones I got in black, they were the only ones the store had in their system. I'll look around some more, looks like the 259's are actually cheaper, and the ones I actually wanted in the first place. damn.

In looking at the receipt the 255's were actually 99.99, I was looking at the wrong thing on the receipt.

• Members

I'll keep them in mind next time I order stands, thanks.

They're a great outfit to do business with. They work with radio-television stations, the TV networks,CBC, CTV, etc, as well as the recording industry, universities, etc. On any given day, you can walk in there and buy a $60,000. Rupert Neve Console, over the counter. You want two? No problemo.:thu:

If you ever want to know ANYTHING about a certain mic, ask to speak to Mario Gauvreau, the guy is absolutely incredible. He has superb communication skills, and will describe any mic you can imagine, to a "T". You can walk in there, and buy $15,000. studio-mics. Fantastic place.

Also, if you rent a piece of gear, and you later decide you want to buy it, the entire rental fee is applied to the price of purchase. They'll give you the same attention if you're only buying a $100. mic, as they will if you're spending much more. Outstanding service in my opinion.

• Members

Bobby1Note thanks for posting the link. I generally shop local and hadn't heard of these guys. I knew about AXE etc. but it's nice to have other options.

For short stands, I just use the Yorkville Apex ones, but then again I'm a week-end warrior. My stuff isn't put through the paces like a sound company's gear.

• Members

Boby1Note thanks for posting the link. I generally shop local and hadn't heard of these guys. I knew about AXE etc. but it's nice to have other options.

You're very welcome Shaster. I just covered the tip of the iceberg as far as what these guys do. They are also involved with music in the Toronto and Los Angeles scene, and locally, they have/operate recording studios and rehearsal halls.

Another thing,,, these guys will N-E-V-E-R pressure you for a sale.

I believe they're going to AES in New York next week, Oct. 9th, thru 12th. I'd kill to be there. You can click on their link , to get a free VIP guest-pass.

http://economik.com/

Archived