Searching for smooth sounds

• Members

I belong to a worship team and in charge of the sound system. Over the years, I have collected the following. Somehow I cannot get smooth sounds out of the system. It sounds very harsh not very natural. We usually have 2 microphones going at one time for the singer and main worshiper. I'm thinking I need to change out the microphone and cables. Any suggestions?

EON G2 10s

Yamaha MG/10 mixer

Rack: Nady power strip, DOD equalizer, Peavey Crossover

Mics: Samson R11

Cables: Whirlwind brand

• Members

Well, depends what your definition of harsh is. Usually EQ can take the edge off of a compression horn (tweeter) in a system. I've never been that impressed with the 1st or 2nd generation EON high end. I find them harsh at high volume. That's usually in the 2k - 5K range.

What do you usually do EQ wise? Do you cut, boost, both? Try cutting the above frequencies. Maybe add a touch at 8-10K. That will give "air" which will also help the "s" and "t" sounds.

It could be that dry vocals are what you mean too. Do you have any effects. A bit of delay and verb can smooth out the vocals.

• Members

The EONs can sound a little harsh without careful EQ work. Is the EQ a 31 band or something smaller? Why do you have a crossover? Are you using subs?

Nothing really wrong with the mic or cables. Problem might be in the rack or speakers.

• Members

I don't think you can combine the words EON, smooth and natural in the same sentence.

Here's my 0.02:

Sell the EONs and get a pair of ZX1's plus a small amp.

You'll get the smooth response you crave and just a couple hundred dollars out of your pocket.

• Members

@abzurd: Mainly flat leveled on the EQ but I boost the mid-freqs and a little high freqs. It's a 15 band eq and the last freqs(don't remember) is always flat. I'll play with the eq more at tonight's worship. No effects unit.

@jwlussow: Forgot to mention I have the EON SUB also. That's what the crossover is for but I rarely use it. I bypass the crossover when I don't use the sub..Mixer>Eq>Spks.

@allexcosta: I would like to stay with powered speaker. I find powered speaker easier to manage. Maybe Mackie 350s?

• Members

Be glad its not the G2 EON 15 . Smooth is near impossible. I find the EON 10 a much more balanced speaker and I would think a little cutting around 3-6k would be fine until pushed hard then all bets are off :) You really have to go to the next up MR series to get a significantly smoother JBL hornzzzzzzz

• Members

I'm assuming by bypassing the crossover you mean, your sending the full signal to the Eons - and your not just turning the sub off.

A short story - two nights ago I was fronting a band that had their own little PA. Two Yorkville E10's and a couple of E168M's. The "leader" set up the PA, plugged in his iPod to provide some pre show music. The sound was beyond wretched - harsh, middy, shrill....

I wandered over to the powered mixer, turned the mics off and started messing with the EQ until it sounded pretty good - to the point where I'm now considereing picking up a pair of the E10's for small gigs. THE POINT - I'm not trying to pat myself on the back in public, I'm trying to point out that very few "budget" speakers can be run completely flat. Many need help, some a lot of help.

Try playing some pre-recorded music (with mics off) and SLOWLY boosting the mid to high frequencies.

When you hit a frequency that makes the music shrill... try cutting that frequency to see if it helps (without destroying the musical content). Don't cut more than two or three frequencies (on a 15 band anyway) and then check the PA with your mics (where you can also adjust channel strips). You could try this procedure with your mics (one only) but at a volume low enough to avoid feedback (unless you're ringing out the PA).

Just to get you started, I find that 630 (mid) and 6.3 often offend my ears. Your mileage will vary.

Oh, and make sure your crossover isn't adding to the mess. Maybe take it out of the signal path for a while.

And... although those mics are supposed to be okay, if you could borrow a Shure SM58 (in good working order) just to "make sure", it might be worthwhile.

EDIT: Just took a look at my graph settings for a pair of JBL Eons I use sometimes on Saturday afternoons (they're not mine). I've got 630 , 4k and 6.3k cut YMMV.

• CMS Author

I think that you'll find that there is a direct relationship between harsh sound and output level ... that is to say if you turn down to 25% of what you are doing a lot of harshness will go away.

^This.

And try lowering that midrange boost you mentioned by a few dB and decide if that helps at all.

Archived