Is it possible to damage a mixer this way?

• Members

I provided a PA for a band last night and the guy that was running sound told me that you should never run a channel fader above zero. He said if you push it all the way up you will blow out a resistor IIRC in that channel. The board was a Peavey FX 32.

• Members

Nope. Where do people come up with this stuff?

I don't know Jim, I've heard quite a few wacky things lately. Too wierd to make up. Like if you want even more power, you should just bridge 2 bridged amps. Never mind that most of the power supplies are still ground referenced of course ;)

Or, if you phase reverse twice you are ading a "delay of 360 degrees"... yikes. This was from somebody who was positive they were in fact doing time offset correction this way. Good grief, educated beyond their own intelligence.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. The soundman went outside for a smoke so I took over mixing. When he came back in he jumped on my ass for having the channel fader almost all the way up on a fiddle solo. He then proceeded to tell me that if it needed to be louder for a solo to turn up the input gain knob and then back down after the solo. Meanwhile the band kept complaining about their monitors being inconsistant in volume. :facepalm:

• Members

I provided a PA for a band last night and the guy that was running sound told me that you should never run a channel fader above zero. He said if you push it all the way up you will blow out a resistor IIRC in that channel. The board was a Peavey FX 32.

The answer to that is, why have anything above zero if you can't use it? If there was such a problem the people making the board would have put a steel bar at zero so you couldn't push above it.

• Members

I learned once that I should have the gains on an analog mixer down to -12, then you can shove the slider all the way up to the top. Not that I think that is a good way to run it.

Actually, the way his rig was configured, it really kinda worked out that way. sheesh. :facepalm:

Archived