what the flock????? Is this for real?

• Members

This is interesting... the name of the Cerwin Vega founder was Gene Cerwinski, I wonder if by some chance this is Gene's son or relative cashingin on the legacy product of a company that may or may not own any exclusive rights to these designs. They are old enough to be long out of protection.

Gene would have to be in his 90's if he's still alive, I met him many years ago and he was an odd, eccentric, but brilliant old man who found his niche. He came out of the military supply chain, and designed radar units for Bendix IIRC back in the 50's. He was also involved with the original Acoustic amp company (Acoustic Control?)

http://www.cerwinskilab.com/#/products/

This goes back a long time, my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

• Members

Interesting stuff, Andy. I thought you had a pretty good history of them somehow.

I did warranty service and ran a service center for a chain of stores that sold Cerwin Vega from late 70's into the early 80's. I also worked a few trade shows for their CA rep firm. I was one of only a few that serviced their big solid state amps of the time.

• Members

By my math, that sub would be capable of peak volumes in excess of 154dB! Yeah, sure it is.

Once you get past 150dB, you are seriously talking about pressure levels akin to large detonations.

150? I calculate 171dB peak (138+10*log(2000) = 171). That's actually weapon's grade right there :lol:

:facepalm:

• Members

They have them at Astro Sound here in L.A., which is a DJ oriented Sound/Lighting house. The word I got is that as Andy said there's some original peeps involved with them, but to be honest I was kind of dismissive beause I wasn't looking for that kind of enclosure... The tech cranked it up and it did blow some serious air tho. THe place is small so I can't give any better review than that.

Todd A.

• Members

Thier product page has some strange stuff, like a dual 12+1" line array and a single bullet tweeter cab.

I agree. They need a much better web designer/proof reader. The bullet tweeter freq range is listed from 2000 to 2500 hz. Should read 2000 to 25000 khz. Which is asking allot..

2000 watt max input? Maybe 500 rms with supplied crossover capacitor... Maybe.

I went to click to downloading the pdf manual to the 2-12+1 line array and all I could get was a google link. All the other products were the same way. Not allot of trust in a company that can't get their web site in line.

Dookietwo

Archived