Live performance/open mic sound quality

• Members

IMHE, and my gut agrees, this situation you seek help for is most likely the combination of a few things - Starting with the guitar: I recognized your Alvarez from the avatar before reading the post. It's beautiful, I played two of them before buying my acoustic. While beautiful and set up nearly perfect, that particular Alvarez sounds exactly as you describe - I found them both to be quite muffled and dull, the midrange was not what I prefer (not trying to insult your choice of instrument, just not my thing as much as I wanted to love it based on looks alone)

As you mention, it is compounded when playing chords (especially bar chords with no open strings to ring out)

As with most any instrument, some eq tweaks should help - however, IMHE, many open mic nights are 1) budget equipment 2) hastily set up 3) not tuned 4) run by someone most likely simply happy to be there to help

that being said, even if the guitar channel is eq'd it's most likely set to a Tak or Ibanez which most all work well with the same eq (on open mic night without an engineer) The eq'ing for those standards (if it's not just BMT all set to 0) will only make the tone of your particular Alvarez even more non distinct.

The eq section on your guitar is pretty helpful here though. Without being there and hearing completely, I would suggest AS A STARTING POINT: Slight boost to treble, roughly equal cut on bass, set the mid freq rather high (virtually full clockwise) and boost it slightly. You could also try to reduce some of the muddiness with the notch filter engaged and sweep from full counter clockwise through to middle which should sweep from 45 hz up through the midrange.

Good luck here, again - beautiful choice in instrument, and unique, I hope you find a way to make it sound as good as it looks.

• Members

Strings? Type and age?

Elixer Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze light.

I've been using the same set for 3 months. They still sound nice unplugged, and the guitar really sounds nice through the house speakers at church. This particular open mic just brought to my attention the muddiness. I may be strumming too hard, and it could just be the guitar.

I'll try all the above suggestions. Thanks for the help so far. I'll update next week after I go again.

• Members

I've been using the same set for 3 months. They still sound nice unplugged, and the guitar really sounds nice through the house speakers at church. This particular open mic just brought to my attention the muddiness. I may be strumming too hard, and it could just be the guitar.

I'll try all the above suggestions. Thanks for the help so far. I'll update next week after I go again.

Ok, you might try new strings, and it's possible (likely) that the speakers/system at the open mic was not as nice sounding in general. You need to identify where the problem is before assuming it's the guitar (or any other component for that matter)

• Members

When you strum, you create more volume from the PA and monitors. Which is more sound hitting the guitar. Which adds mud.

Put a "Feedback Buster" in the sound hole. It won't always help, but it is highly unlikely to hurt.

Where you strum can have a big affect. Strum a bit up the neck to thin out the tone and keep it mellow, strum toward the bridge to thin out the tone and make it brighter.

• Members

Try a set of medium gauge strings. "Lights" really shouldn't be used on a dreadnaught, unless your manufacturer specifically states "light gauge". If the manufacturer says "lights", you may require a slight set-up of your instrument if you go to mediums. (truss-rod adjustment; piece of cake).

Bob

• Members

When you strum, you create more volume from the PA and monitors. Which is more sound hitting the guitar. Which adds mud.

Put a "Feedback Buster" in the sound hole. It won't always help, but it is highly unlikely to hurt.

Where you strum can have a big affect. Strum a bit up the neck to thin out the tone and keep it mellow, strum toward the bridge to thin out the tone and make it brighter.

Ummm, unless I am misunderstanding something here, generally strumming closer to the bridge will thin things out and towards the neck will get thicker.

• Members

The eq section on your guitar is pretty helpful here though. Without being there and hearing completely, I would suggest AS A STARTING POINT: Slight boost to treble, roughly equal cut on bass, set the mid freq rather high (virtually full clockwise) and boost it slightly. You could also try to reduce some of the muddiness with the notch filter engaged and sweep from full counter clockwise through to middle which should sweep from 45 hz up through the midrange.

I adjusted my eq to the settings you suggested and noticed a big difference. I think I may have had too much bass last time, which added to the muddiness. After I played, I had several people comment that my guitar sounded really good.

Thanks for the tips!:thu:

• Members

Its prolly something simple like the room was real live as in cement bunker.

dial off the lows and kill the majority of the echo revberb. If the vocals sounded good the host prolly had those dialed in already. Go for the obvious before you start on the hard stuff. every room is differnt and even the same room can be different with a smaller or lager crowd.

• Members

I adjusted my eq to the settings you suggested and noticed a big difference. I think I may have had too much bass last time, which added to the muddiness. After I played, I had several people comment that my guitar sounded really good.

Thanks for the tips!
:thu:

Interesting point. Guitarists seem to love those big body dreadnaught guitars that have that huge warm sound when played acousticly but when amplified they almost always sound boomy.

Archived