Different brand for tops than subs

• Members

I have been running JBL EON P15 tops (powered) and JBL MPro MP418S subs, but recently got a good deal on a pair of EV SX300's. I would like to use the EV's as tops and relegate the Eons for monitor duty.

I have run the SX300's as monitors a couple times and I really like them. Will it be a problem mixing brands of tops and subs..ie EV tops and JBL subs?

Proposed setup: 01V > Stereo out > MX22 crossover > GX3 > EV SX300 tops / XLS602 > MP418S subs

I guess it is going to come down to A/B-ing and seeing what I like best, but thought I would ask if this would pose a 'problem' since there is a lot of good info on this Live Sound & Prod board.

• Members

. Will it be a problem mixing brands of tops and subs

In general no problem.

There are two things to think about. Do they put out enough level to keep up with the tops? If not you will have to turn down your tops to match.

Are they correctly polarized? You will need to be certain ... if not you could end up with problems, even equipment failure. Don't assume that "positive" means the same thing to every manufacturer.

• Members

I currently use EV QRX218s subs with Peavey QW3f tops, it makes a sweet sounding rig :thu:

Previously I was using RCF ART325i cabs for tops and those worked incredibly well with the QRX subs. They just where not big enough to stack directly on top of the sub.

It doesn't matter to me if the brand names on the cabs match or not, the only thing that matters is how it sounds.

Archived