Sub Placement

• Members

Running 2 double 18 subs would there be any advantage to stacking them on one side,and running the tops on each side,or would it be just as good to run one on each side of the stage?The room in question has a stage that is off center,and stacking the subs stage left would put them dead center in the room.

• Members

It's all about tradeoffs.

Stacking the subs together should get you some coupling ... read that as extra low end loudness for free. It does come with a cost as putting the subs together will excite more standing wave issues (indoors) than splitting them will (generally)

• Members

Probably best to put together when possible. Keeps the "power alley" effect from happening, which can be a mess on stage as the sub frequencies are hammering you and summing right in the middle of the stage. Doing this also keeps cancellations down. The downside is the side without the subs will have less bass and the timing could be off significantly.

Another option is putting the subs center stage and running tops on each side. I try and do this when possible.

All that said, if it's a very large (long) stage then it may be fine putting subs on either side.

• Members

I'd do that if the goal is to get people dancin'. If you just want folks to admire your technical prowess split 'em up :lol:. Actually with a room that shape I'd seriously consider putting both mains there too - one sorta pointing to the left rear corner and the other to the right rear corner :).

• Members

Doing this also keeps cancellations down.

Not really ... it just keeps the cancellations away from the small dead center line. It likely results in even deeper cancellations somewhere else. It depends on the room and the placement of the subs.

• Members

It may not make any difference at all, it really depends on what's happening in the room. Each room is different and every configuration is a tradeoff.

That's how I always look at it. With weddings and corporate gigs with 50 shows a year we play probably 30 different venues. Many times there's only one way that "makes sense". If there happens to be a stage that happens to be near the center of the room we'll center the subs and put the mains on stands on the sides.

• Members

Thanx guys! I've played this room several times,but I'll be going in with my P.A. this time(and FWIW) I think this is the best I've played through in this room.I was considering stacking the whole setup in the same spot.This should enable me to run th P.A. "hotter",and the bartenders to still hear their drink orders.Running mono,so I don't see any real need for seperation.Just wondering if I'm on the right track thinking-wise.

• Members
I just know how much {censored} I'm gonna catch wanting to do it this way from the rest of te band,because It will "look wierd"!

Yah, unfortunately most people listen with their eyes :rolleyes:. In your case two mains over two 2x18's oughtta look like a pretty massive stack anyways :cool:?

• Members

Actually there will be 4-mains.I went with 4 Yamaha Club 115 Vs,instead of 2 Mrx 515s.I know,I know,but getting that quantity puts me in a situation where no box will ever get hit with more than 350 watt (2 per side on a GX-5),and if one goes down,there will be no problem.And the price was within pennies of being the same,all brand new,and I'm sorry...after A/Bing them for the better part of the last 6 months,the MRXs just dont sound twice as good!!! Just my opinion,and I'm sure I'll catch some {censored} for it , but...

• Members

The room is about 40 feet from the front of the stage to the back wall,but probably 80 feet across.Stacking them stage left puts them directly into the "dance" floor,and puts them opposite the bar.

Ooh I hate rooms like that. If you guys play this room a lot the decision to go with 4 Yamaha Clubs may be a wise one for coverage reasons.

I just know how much {censored} I'm gonna catch wanting to do it this way from the rest of te band,because It will "look wierd"!

If you can place the subs on the floor rather than on the stage then they won't stick out as much visually. In most rooms they'll also sound better.

I think you're on the right track coupling them right next to the dance floor. It's what I try to do if I can get away with it.

Archived