Volume level's for active speakers?

• Members

I bought a pair of EV SXA360 awhile back and never got to use them for any live gigs because my veteran drummer of 30+ years of drumming decided to retired right when they showed up. So finding a replacing with the same talent skill was a daunting task with months of auditioning drummers that was on the same talent level as our last drummer.

Anyway, I finally found a replacement drummer and now have some up coming gigs and was wondering ? should I just turn the volume all the way up on the EV's and just use my DBX x-over to balance out the SPL with the Yorkville LS700P subs I'm using. FWIW I have my subs volume only half way up because those box put out a lot of SPL for the size.

I was using NX35's as my mid/high tops powered by a PLX2502 in the past, but the subs would just walk all over them esp. in larger clubs where I had to dish out some major SPL to fill the room up. Anyway would appreciate you folks and experts with all active FOH's cabs what your suggested volume setting's should I use?

Thanks

• Members

Kinda depends. Example the VRX powered subs I demo'ed needed the gain pot turned all the way up-even recomended by JBL for live music. On the other hand I have a very simular set of powered tops to your EV's that like about a 3/4 setting. Any louder and I started to get a little floor noise. Didnt really need any more gain though, the setting handled most gigs fine.

• Members

Have you had a chance yet to run material through your tops
and
subs at full volume to see how the new tops will balance with your subs without attenuating one or the other?

No not full blast, because don't want the neighbors calling the cops on me :cop:

However, I did set them up in the rehearsal room and hooked up my MP3 at low volumes to get a basic ideal of how the new EV's would sound, but with volumes at lower settings I really couldn't tell if the EV's will dish out more mid/high SPL or not. I won't know until I start gigging out again.

They seemed to be louder from judging from what I normally set the master faders compared to the NX35's but it could be just wishful thinking too, because their new and have more wattage which I know wattage is really just about marketing hype. I do know EV's make some darn good efficient driver's and horns. Not sure about how they will throw since the horn radius is 60x60 and the NX35's were 80x50.

The 60x60 horn radius to me and I'm guessing here, should throw more since it's a tighter pattern and I want be spraying the ceiling as much compared to the NX35's with it's 80x50 horn pattern I dunno not a expert on this of kind of sound wave theory.

• Members

The 60x60 horn radius to me and I'm guessing here, should throw more since it's a tighter pattern and I want be spraying the ceiling as much compared to the NX35's with it's 80x50 horn pattern I dunno not a expert on this of kind of sound wave theory.

Aren't they 65x65 horns? Might actually "spray the ceiling a little more" but are going to be much narrower left to right. In my experience (don't own but have rented a pair of SxA360s several times) the horns are F'n laser beams. It's all good though since the horns never really do get very harsh... even when turned up. They are great mains for long rooms where the stage is at one of the narrow ends. They overpowered a pair of sxa180s we had easily... should be a perfect match for your subs. You made a great upgrade decision... IMO.

• Members

I'd leave the SXA360 at 0dB and adjust the sub to match. In the end all you are playing with is going to be noise floor vs how hard you have drive the input to achieve full output.

Wouldn't that be easier to balance out the subs at the x-over ?

One thing I learned about my LS700P subs in the past, is that every club I played at locally. I never need to go past the halfway mark volume wise on the 700's. I also learned for smaller clubs leave one of them at home because a pair was just way overkill.

Archived