Need an RTA recommendation

• Members

I have a post running about DBX eq's. I have decided, based on responses, to get the 1231. Having said that I now would like to get a real time analyzer to establish good starting points. I have seen the rack mount units anywhere from $159 up and I have also seen software for installing on a PC. I know it is a piece of gear that once used doesn't get used much any more but I though it would be a good addition to the DBX 1231.

OK, let me have it. :)

• Members

Indeed. I have one and i love it. Had it about 2 years now. No problems what so ever. The interface isn't as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. If you get one take time to familiarize yourself with it and know what everything does and how it is setup and you should be golden-ish.

Also dont count on the RTA to do everything for you. I like to think of it as a starting point. Do the rest by ear.

• Members

So the PA+ has adjustable EQ so you can make fine adjustments after the RTA?

I have the original DRPA and I would suspect that the DRPA+ would be relatively the same. Saying that yes, you can select each specific frequency and boost or cut it, as any GEQ would be with the ability to turn it on and off. You can also use Parametric EQ. The only issue is the screen is rather small and can be hard to read but i believe you can plug the DRPA+ version into a computer and adjust accordingly from there.

My favorite part of this unit is that you can store multiple programs and recall them with a turn of a wheel and a click. EQ, X-over, Limiters everything. Its great!

Just my thoughts.

• Members

You can also inadvertantly load a speaker destroying preset too, leading to a smoldering mess of speaker. I make pretty good money repairing such messes for customers who think they have things all figured out. Well, not quite is appears to be more often than not.

When we do an installation, we offer two different warranties:

The first is a 1 year warranty on the installation P&L, covering the basic materials, workmanship and labor. We do not cover any accidents, lapses in judgement, etc. This warranty applies if we do not lock the customer out of the DSP and prevent stupid "tweaking" mistakes.

The second is a 1, 3 or 5 year warranty, where we cover everything, even simple mistakes or lapses in judgement, we program the DSP, we impliment our own limiting algorithems, speaker models, sizing of power amps, operating modes, etc and lock the customer out of the system processing. This is by far the most popular option and the failure rate for systems done this way are almost zero. I think in the past 10 years, I've had a couple of service calls where it cost me any money at all and we've installed probably 100 systems with this approach. The life expectancy of a system that we install like this is between 15 and 20 years. We will also extend the warranties out to 10 years on most of the systems we install if the customer prefers.

Most folks think they understand this stuff better than they do. The problem is that it is exceedingly easy to miss a small but important detail, or have a momentary brain fart that costs big $$$ if damaged components. I just finished up a repair job where $3500 worth of drivers were damaged by a lack of understanding of how limiters REALLY worked, he thought he was plenty-protected but in fact he missed the little detail that even though the limiter module was programmed (pretty poorly IMO) it was never engaged (turned on) to the signal path. He thought everything was just fine until it started sounding really bad. He kept saying to me that he didn't see any limiter LEDS lighting up so he was sure he wasn't driving things that hard... well they don't light up if the modules are switched off. Yikes, false sense of security.

• Members

The only issue is the screen is rather small and can be hard to read but i believe you can plug the DRPA+ version into a computer and adjust accordingly from there.

The DRPA+ is not compatible with DriveWare (yet). You would have to upgrade to a DR260 for computer control.

Dennis

• Members

Get yourself a Phonic PAA3 handheld and analyze the room with that. Then make your adjustments on your 31-band that you are getting.

I am trying to decide between the DBX 1231 and an RTA or the DBX PA+. I appreciate all the responses; all good info. I will be using the above with a A&H Mixwiz and two JBL EON510's and doing livingroom/small venue acoustic group (5 pcs.). I want this small rig to sound the best it can.

• Members

Read and understand the manual carefully, that's a big part of making things sound better and lasting longer.

Though, with the Eon 510's, frankly most of the work is done inside for you and I would recommend just an eq. Much of the functionality of the DRPA is already inside the Eon and programmed by JBL for you, so the benefit of adding a DRPA is really pretty much zero.

• Members

I am trying to decide between the DBX 1231 and an RTA or the DBX PA+. I appreciate all the responses; all good info. I will be using the above with a A&H Mixwiz and two JBL EON510's and doing livingroom/small venue acoustic group (5 pcs.). I want this small rig to sound the best it can.

Sorry :)

• Members

Ever have problems with this? I have worked with several customers who tried it and if you don't understand a basic DRPA, or in the case of many folks even a basic eq, the added complexity is sure to generate expensive and inconvenient service and support calls. It's an architecture best left to the more professional IMO and IME. Additionally, if you change configurations of your system, yo better be sure yo are absolutely anal about tracking the changes within the HiQnet platform. IME, too many variables to track accurately and in fact you limit yourself by the sheer flexibility in that the time to doublecheck your work (accurately) is often longer than the time available.

Yes -

Whenever a venue might require a different speaker combination. The speakers provided by the PA owner are the only ones allowed to be used. No system changes can be made to his rig.

Each Crown in the rack is programmed to factory match the speaker it drives and to protect itself.

His HiQnet programming intention was more to protect his equipment from any possible padawan blunder than it was to constantly fine tune the rigs ABILITY for different venues.

• Members

Yes -

Whenever a venue might require a different speaker combination. The speakers provided by the PA owner are the only ones allowed to be used. No system changes can be made to his rig.

Each Crown in the rack is programmed to factory match the speaker it drives and to protect itself.

His HiQnet programming intention was more to protect his equipment from any possible padawan blunder than it was to constantly fine tune the rigs ABILITY for different venues.

Yes, this makes much more sense. That's the essence of today's better powered speakers and exactly what the JBL DrivePack concept was based on. Start with a known, factory programmed benchmark. Try to keep wandering fingers away.

• Members

Does the driverack PA+ come with the microphone? It wasn't mentioned on their site.

"Comes with" - NO

"Optional component available for purchase" - YES

DBX offers their own measurement mic specifically for the drive rack for about a $100 bucks...

If you are willing to put some more money in to it and want a more accurate calibration tool, you could go with either the Audix TR40A or the SURE ES615.

• Members

I also heard from a little birdy that its a possibility you might be able to pick up one from Agedhorse for around $50.. Just if you are interested.

Yeah, I forget things so quickly...I believe he has some DBX mics for $50. Can't beat that!

Dennis

• Members

"Optional component available for purchase" - YES

DBX offers their own measurement mic specifically for the drive rack for about a $100 bucks...

If you decide on the Drive rack, I have a DBX calibrated RTA mic that I'd be willing to part with for much less. P.M. me if you're interested.

Archived