Problems With Peavey XR-600B

• Members

Hello all, I'm new here so I will try and keep it brief/to the point. I recently purchased a used Peavey XR-600B. The people in the store (The Great House of Guitars, in Rochester NY) lost the fuse cap while they were replacing the fuse for me to check it out. I got them to knock off a lot of money from it, although they guaranteed it to work (I live in VA, returning is not an option).

So now I'm trying to find a new fuse holder cap. I ordered one from Uncle Ike's Music (http://www.uncleikes.com/pc-6909-287-sh203-peavey-replacement-fuse-cap.aspx). But the damn thing does not fit. It DOES fit my Peavey XR-400B, however. And the cap from the 400B won't fit the 600B either. So what is going on? Is something wrong with the fuse holder itself? Or is the fuse holder on the 600B just different?? FYI it is the gray fuse cap with a slot in it. Thanks In Advance! Happy New Years!!

• Members

Take it to your local repair shop and have them install a new one.I'm sure they can find an aftermarket one that will fit the hole and I can't imagine it being to expensive. Peavey's customer service is pretty good too. If its a current model they will have parts available. By the way, ya have to love the HOG one of a kind place.

• Members

I'm kind of a DIY guy when it comes to electronics, and looking in through the hole in the top, replacing the entire holder looks simple enough (soldering two wires). I'm trying to keep the $ going into this thing low, so I'd rather not take it to a shop if I can help it. So I have two questions that would help me: Will essentially any fuse holder work? Or does it need to be rated to support 8 Amps? (what will run through it). The second question is, does anyone have any good tips on taking this amp out of its case?? Thanks in advance.

BTW Bugzie- I

• Members

I really suggest that you have a shop do this for you, as it's connected to the line side of the unit and from the questions you ask, you don't understand what it odes and why it's there. Also, at the same time, the tech should chjeck for proper grounding and bonding of the chassis parts as well as using a variac to power up the amp and verify that there are no problems without causing more damage if there is a fault. The fact that it was sold to you without being able to test it AND the fuse cap is missing leads me to believe otherwise. Experience seeing this before...

• Members

I really suggest that you have a shop do this for you, as it's connected to the line side of the unit and from the questions you ask, you don't understand what it odes and why it's there. Also, at the same time, the tech should chjeck for proper grounding and bonding of the chassis parts as well as using a variac to power up the amp and verify that there are no problems without causing more damage if there is a fault. The fact that it was sold to you without being able to test it AND the fuse cap is missing leads me to believe otherwise. Experience seeing this before...

There is wisdom here. If you fudge some fuse holder in your mixer and it doesn't work properly (or it wasn't working when they sold it to you ) the people who sold it too you won't refund your money because they will claim you botched the job. Have a repair shop replace it and your back will be covered. Should the mixer be bad you will have a better chance at getting your money back.

Dookietwo

edit spelling

• Members

I went ahead and installed a new fuseholder today and it works like a charm :) thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Just one more thing: How Could I use this to run my mains and then my XR-400b to run the monitors that I have? Do I just run the monitor out from the 600b into the aux. port on the 400b? or one of the 400b's channels? thanks!

• Members

haha hey, i'm not a total idiot. I bought this thing from folks who guaranteed it to work (people at the HOG, an extremely reputable and famous shop). I've had a lot of experience with electronics, and I am a mechanical engineering student at VA Tech. So I definitely know exactly what a fuse is, what it does, and why it is important to have. When I opened this baby up I cleaned it up and nothing stood out as being wrong. So I went to radio shack, got two fuseholders for 5 bucks. One ended up fitting. Soldered two wires and bam, thats all she wrote. There was some luck involved, but not enough to get me started playing the lottery. Also, I was not worried about returning it since I live in VA and the shop is in NY, so I would have had it no matter what. All I did was save myself an hour long ride out to some amp tech that would've wanted 75 dollars an hour (which I don't have) to look everything over.

I say this all only to inform, I mean no disrespect, I just felt like justifying myself a little, that's all. And about using the XR 600b for the main system and the XR 400B for the monitor system, any ideas as to how to do that? I'll admit that I know very little about setting up PA's optimally.

• Members

You are lucky because often folks that guarantee it to work aren't as good following up with a problem as they appear to be when selling the unit in the first place. I've seen it way too many times not to be cynical. Glad it worked out for you.

By any chance did you do a HiPot test on it when you were done?

• Members

I did not do a high potential test, is that something I should really consider? Do these products tend to fail when they get to be a certain age? And you all have lost me with the tin foil and pyramid and crystals...

• Members

The tin foil, crystals and pyramids were tongue in cheek to Don.

Whenever working on the AC power wiring, especially where the history is unknown, it's always prudent to do a HiPot test or at least verify that the safety ground bonding is intact. IIRC, there's a bonding jumper between the back panel, transformer and front panel subframe. If any ofthese are not capable of carrying the fault current and open the AC fuse, there exists a potential for the exposed metalwork to rise above the earth ground potential.

Archived