Re-visiting Speaker replacemant

• Members

A few weeks ago I had mentioned the yorkville y15 speakers and the concensus was that these were fairly low-end esp. for yorkville. Well I met up with the fella who owned them and I tried them out with ac.guitar and vox and while they are no where near as good as some stuff I have used, they werent all that bad for light solo-acooustic duty, and they are in New condition.

I wound up purchasing them for $100 ea. I think it was a deal.

I bought these with the intention of upgrading the woofer. I understand replacing a speaker depends on the cabinet itself.

I was thinking of getting the Eminence Pro kappa 15a:

Specs

The crossover is at 3000hz....

I really just want more bass response. These are not being used for large gigs and no subs.....

is this speaker a good choice?

• Members

i don't know if the speaker is a good choice or not. But the Kappa 15 ( roughly $150 before shipping at partsexpress) will cost you more then the Y15. You will spend over $500 when done.

For about $800, you could of picked up a pair of brand new Yamaha club C115Vs.

• Members

The Kappa's are $139. with shipping, so yes I am aware that I will be spending overall $239 total per speaker. Thats fine.

The Kappa that I mentioned Is supposedly an upgrade/replacement to the speaker in the Yamaha club; at least Eminence claims this.

I am going to upgrade, and I know there are probably at least a half dozen regulars on this forum who know alot more than I when it comed to speaker replacement.

Any help for this speaker in this cabinet????

Edit: As far as the price, a few hundred dollars difference was not a big deal before winter, but I went from 6 a week to 3 a week this month and that $300 difference is a big one for me right now...

• Members

That's a pretty heavy woofer for "light, solo duty"... personally I would have used this opportunity to really upgrade your speaker choice to something compact, lightweight and modern.

You need to analyze the driver in THAT cabinet, with THAT porting to see if it will really be an improvement. My guess is probably not much if any.

• Members

I wouldn't touch 'em, but if you feel you really got a good deal, why not try to resell them for a profit, and apply that to a speaker that you prefer?

My understanding is that Yorkville discontinued that model, and introduced the YX15 as the replacement; with much better bass response. Compare buying those, vs the cost of the Y15, plus the expense of the modifications you're planning.

You'll also want to add in potential resale value, into your cost analysis. Who would want to buy a "modded" discontinued speaker? vs a newly re-designed, and fully warranteed speaker? Maybe I'm not adventurous enough, but "modding" seems like the wrong way to go from my perspective.

Bob

• Members

Maybe nothing. It all depends on how the driver and box work TOGETHER.

Totaly NOT being a speaker designer, I know you have to look up (probably from yorkville) the thiele small parameters (did I spell that right?) which gives you info like free air resonance, total bandwidth and other info, and match your speaker choice to those parameters. That's the sum total of my knowledge of speaker design.

More often than not a box is designed around a specific driver to make it work optimaly so replacing the driver (even though it may be more expensive and better built) may not end with better results (and often poorer ones).

just my .02

• Members

If the speakers were good enough to buy, then they are good enough to use as is. If the speakers are not good enough to use as is, then why did you buy them?

I just picked up two Yorkville elite e12's for CAN $250.00 each. They were used - made sometime in 2006. They are a far better box than the Y15.

Also at my local store, on sale (new) were a bunch of YX15's for CAN $249 each. I also saw two used Yorkville E10's for $200 each. They would be better than the Y15 as well.

And last but not least, I just picked up two NX84's for CAN $120 for the pair. They too would make good acoustic guitar.... speakers.

So if your speakers aren't good enough, my suggestion is to sell them (or return them) and keep looking. there are lots of good deals out there.

Of course I don't know if you could get one hundred a box, I guess it would depend on your local market.

• Members

My thoughts: They sound like you got a great deal! If they work for you as is, sweet! Use them. What are you playing that wants more bass response? You mention solo-acoustic, so I'm thinking acoustic guitar and vocals, but may be wrong.

If you need / want an upgrade (yeah, it's sometimes kinda fuzzy between need and want), I'm on the bandwagon with the others above that say trade up to a better cabinet. Yorkville makes some nice stuff (including acoustic guitar / keyboard amp combos) and the used market for them seems quite good...for the buyer.

Cheers!

• Members

They dont sound bad, I just would like more bass.

I play guitar and sing, but I also use a stompbox that sounds better with other speakers I have used... I am actually happy with the way they sound except for the stompbox, and I am pretty sure I can re-sell them for $200 (or more)

Archived