One more time...

• Members

If I use the HPFs on each non-sub channel on my mixer (mixwiz),and the limiter on my crossover(DBX 231),then I won't need to use the HPFs on my FOH eq?Correct? But I will need to use them on my monitor eqs if sending bass,kick,or keyboard into any monitor mix.Correct? As always,thanks.:thu:

• Members

If I use the HPFs on each non-sub channel on my mixer (mixwiz),and the limiter on my crossover(DBX 231),then I won't need to use the HPFs on my FOH eq?Correct?

dbx 231 is an eq, and has no limiter. you need a system HPF above the freq your subs unload, usually i use the one in the crossover and not the eq

• Members

my wedges usually get axed below 100. in the small spaces i am in the subs pound hard enough on stage, the low freqs in the wedges just cause problems and arent necessary. i use the 40hz HPF on my mon eq's and almost always have the sliders all the way down from 100 on down. if i was in larger areas i might set things up different; these are typical bar stages.

• Members

With the monitor EQ sliders all down from 100 and below you're cutting a lot higher than 100. You're effecting signal up to 400+hz range and taking the "balls" out of the mix. Yes HPF at 40 on the EQ (I like 80ish if possible) but cutting faders will also mess with the phasing of the signal as well.

There are 2 parts where EQ is used. It's called the same thing but it's not used in the same way: SYSTEM EQ; used to flatten a speaker "system", not make vocals sound a certain way or guitar cut thru. Then and only then after the system eq is correctly applied (goes to crossover/delay etc) then we get to channel eq, making a mic's signal do what's needed for the application at hand. Don't confuse the two, different reasons and different tools. There is no substitute for either either. got it?

• Members

I use the 40hz HPF on my mon eq's and almost always have the sliders all the way down from 100 on down.

It wasn't clear if you are pushing the 100hz slider down too? I remember figuring out that if the 100hz fader was left flat and the fader below that was cut 12db it pulled 100 down 4db which is about right to emulate a 100hz HPF so that's what I do when I don't have adjustable HPFs on the monitor mixes. BTW a good paper on GEQ:

http://www.rane.com/pdf/constanq.pdf

Unalaska: If your GEQ is cutting at 400hz when you pull out 100hz and messing up your phasing to the point it sounds bad maybe you should upgrade to a Behringer :lol:?

• Members

Unalaska: If your GEQ is cutting at 400hz when you pull out 100hz and messing up your phasing to the point it sounds bad maybe you should upgrade to a Behringer
:lol:
?

Cutting even one frequency on a GEQ affects the phase of the signal...it doesn't matter if you are using a BSS FCS 960 or a Klark Teknik DN360. It's just the nature of a filter, whether it's a filter in an EQ or a filter in a crossover. When you need to use one , you just deal with the consequences but dumping six side-by-side filters (20Hz - 100Hz) to emulate a 100Hz HPF creates a serious mess and problems that you probably don't associate with it. If you were to watch an RTA while dumping one frequency, you would see several harmonic frequencies boosted. Six side-by-side filters have a lot of harmonic frequencies and will leave you chasing feedbacks that you should never have had in the first place. A HPF is a single filter and can't be emulated by six GEQ filters.

Dennis

• Members

So based on the above posts,engage that "lo-cut" button,set all sliders at zero(center),and proceed with the ringing of the monitors? Let that lo-cut do its job,get rid of other problems,and eq to taste,RIGHT!!! Or Dennis are you sayin to just use the eq,and NOT engage the lo-cut button?

• Members

Or Dennis are you sayin to just use the eq,and NOT engage the lo-cut button?

No, I am saying DO use the lo-cut, but something with an adjustable HPF would serve you better. STILL, either your lo-cut switch or an adjustable HPF are single filters and beat the heck out of dumping a bunch of GEQ bands.

Dennis

• Members

So based on the above posts,engage that "lo-cut" button,set all sliders at zero(center),and proceed with the ringing of the monitors? Let that lo-cut do its job,get rid of other problems,and eq to taste,RIGHT!!! Or Dennis are you sayin to just use the eq,and NOT engage the lo-cut button?

In case you ain't figured it out there are four ways to go here:

1) Find someone who agrees with the way you were gonna do it anyways and go with that.

2)Choose who's opinion you want to go with.

3)Try all the suggestions and see which one works best for you.

4)Ignore everybody and do it the way you were gonna anyways.

Most folks go with #4 or #1 :facepalm:, I'd suggest #3. If you go with #2 you're going with who was more convincing (AKA spewed the most techno-babble ;)), not necessarily who is "right" :lol:.

Archived