JBL mains/monitor upgrades

• Members

Our band currently has 2 monitor mixes and we need 4 now.

Current config:

Mains - (2) JBL MRX515

Subs - (2) JBL SRX718

Monitors - (2) JBL MRX515 (were originally bought for mains)

At some point, we will need more subs and mains.

I will stay with unpowered cabs as I have plenty of power amp capacity.

(2) QSC PLX 3602, (1) QSC PLX 3102, and (1) QSC PLX 1804.

I am considering the following to meet current need and position for growth:

1. Use all (4) MRX515 as monitors, buy (2) SRX712 for mains.

2. Use all (4) MRX515 as monitors, buy (2) SRX722 for mains.

3. I found a deal on (6) used JBL VRX932LA, use these for mains.

These are configured as (2) arrays of (3) cabs.

4. Buy (2) SRX712 for monitor duty.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Members

I'm interested in this too.. i have mrx 515 mains and mrx 518 subs right now and its fine for what i am doing .. BUT i have a pair of srx 712 i am only using for monitor right now or i use em as speakers on a stick for really small jobs with my bands. I knew they were way overkill for my apication but I went with them out of a combination of gas and the fact that they are MUCH more compact than any other wedges i looked at.. dont ttake up a lot of space.

So in my mind when i get richer and famouser i thoughi might upgrade mysystem soem day and uuse them as mains.. But they look so SMALL lol.

So then I though i should get the srx 722 over a couple of 718s per side.. of course that is not a very efficient upgrade path and who knows if it will ever be truly necessary.. I would just have to sell my other stuff.

What do you guys in the know think of the 722 over the 712.. I dont biamp anything at this point and just run everything in stereo.. very simple .. rest of my rig is Mix wiz16/ xti 4k on both subs and mains xti 2000 for front monitors and xti 1oo for drum fills and "other" I have dbx eq on all monitor mixes and drPA for front of house.. Which i dont use to full effect yet but seems to do the job with the factory presets for my equipment pretty good.

• Members

Any of those options are ok, I would sell the 515's and get 712's for mains and 512's for monitors purely for the size... unless you need the additional bottom end of the 515's for monitors.

The 712 is one of the best small, high powered, light weight boxes on the market today. I'm thinking of getting another 8 or 10 to replace some older inventory.

• Members

does the 515 even have the right shape for monitor duty?

VRX is nice, you'll have to pole mount 2 per side max or use the lifts. 722's are not pole mountable so I don't know how you'd get them tall enough. If it were me I'd find a way to use the 722 or 725 since the 2" exit is much better than a 1" or 1.5" in the 712/715. 718 is a small box (I use the 728) and you may find stacking them to be a pita, I dunno. there are a lot of options.

• Members

does the 515 even have the right shape for monitor duty?

VRX is nice, you'll have to pole mount 2 per side max or use the lifts. 722's are not pole mountable so I don't know how you'd get them tall enough. If it were me I'd find a way to use the 722 or 725 since the 2" exit is much better than a 1" or 1.5" in the 712/715. 718 is a small box (I use the 728) and you may find stacking them to be a pita, I dunno. there are a lot of options.

The 1.5" exit device is used on the 712 is a fantastic sounding driver/horn combination IMO. Naturally quite flat and neutral. I also used a 1.5" device in the line array system I developed about 2 years ago, because it was the best tradeoff between smoothness, sound quality, efficiency and extended frequency response. Look at JBL's recommended tunings for the speakers using the 2" exit driver and you will immediately see why the smaller driver is a better choice IF the application warrents it. Unfortunately, for loud R&R and unforgiving potential misapplication of abuse, the larger driver is necessary to keep up under abusive conditions without failing.

• Members

The 4" VC of the 2445 and 2447 means less 10k and up for sure. Why does the 2447 use a 1.5" exit? I assumed it was for the added compression? The JBL tunings on the DRPA for a 2447 are crazy! +9db @ 8k or something, I did bring it down to +2.5 @ 9k on the PEQ instead and it does bring more sizzle out. Cuts have to be made around the crossover point and 4k as well though. it has bite.

My bad about the 712, I was thinking about the 4702 wedge which I thought was a 2425 on a conical lense.

• Members

The smaller exit geometry helps with the high frequency summed phase response and throat cancellation.

The HF rolloff on the 2245 and 47 are quite substantial. They are down maybe 9dB at 8-10k. Take a look at the response graphs for the drivers on the particular horns. The smaller geometry has much better HF performance at the expense of the low frequency, so for a 215 cabinet it allows a lower crossover freq from the HF to the LF which makes the LF and low mid perfromance much better.

• Members

I was very disappointed in the 932, owing to the poor pattern of the horns - the center 30 degrees is much too hot.

The 515 is a decent wedge. Unless you are stupid loud, they should do nicely.

Don't forget that JBL aren't the only tops maker out there. Many folks prefer the QRX212, and the U15 have plenty of fans.

• Members

Any of those options are ok, I would sell the 515's and get 712's for mains and 512's for monitors purely for the size... unless you need the additional bottom end of the 515's for monitors.

The 712 is one of the best small, high powered, light weight boxes on the market today. I'm thinking of getting another 8 or 10 to replace some older inventory.

The 515 sounds great and works great as a monitor with a piece of 2x4 under the business end. I did look at the 512 when I bought them but the 515 was maybe $20 more and so I went with them with the intention of using them as mains.

In this market, the 515 residual value is too low and it' not likely to improve. It doesn't make sense to sell them to save a little bit of space on stage or in the truck.

If the 722 can't be pole mounted, that rules them out.

Thanks for the info.

• Members

With subs, I really prefer the 712's.

Those 712's are nice, but out of my price range.

I went with the PRX 512m ($1400 pr, new) -- two are on their way from JBL factory as of today!

Should match up nicely with the PRX718s subwoofer ($1200 for one, new).

For some strange reason, JBL stopped making bags (and now subcontracts to Gator)-- so the covers are being shipped from my rep in Chicago.

• Members

Those 712's are nice, but out of my price range.

I went with the PRX 512m ($1400 pr, new) -- two are on their way from JBL factory as of today!

Should match up nicely with the PRX718s subwoofer ($1200 for one, new).

For some strange reason, JBL stopped making bags (and now subcontracts to Gator)-- so the covers are being shipped from my rep in Chicago.

Wasn't recommending them to you.

Archived