Oh no, I didn't overpower the speaker...

• Members

So, I hear this all the time and this was one of my recones that came back after a couple of years with the hopes of getting a free recone under warranty (2 years... c'mon) and when I saw it, it was so obvious to me that the failure was from too much power that it was laughable.

Anybody care to guess what the smoking gun is from the picture?

• Members

Unalaska and sailorman got it right. Too bad I can't throw candy or something via the net ;)

That's the imprint of a JBL square perf grille on the edge of the cone where it meets the surround. The only way to do that is to exceed by a large margin the Xmax and Xmech of the system.

The spider is all stretched out and floppy, notice that the cone sits inward of it's normal resting plane. No way it's anywhere near it's original TS parameters and will perform very poorly in it's intended box now.

There's also some damage to the cone as the plup material has fatigued, but remarkably the VC is still reasonably in alignment and the cone-neck bond is intact. The spider is shot, as is everything else of importance. It's a 4 ohm version (think MP-418) and the user put more power then they realized into it.

Learn form other people's mistakes, it's way cheaper than making the mistake yourself. ;)

• Members

Unalaska and sailorman got it right. Too bad I can't throw candy or something via the net
;)

Candy not necessary; winning the 'contest' against such esteemed competition is reward enough :)

PS. this is why I chose powered speakers. I ain't well informed enough to avoid doing something like that, or worse, myself. I hate the smell of fried electronics.

• Members

Are you referring to those bluish marks which are regulary spaced in an arc? Even if the speaker did hit the grille, would it hit so hard that the grille would actually shed it's paint?
:eek:

It hit hard enough that the edges of the square holes rubbed the paper like that.

It's not the arcs or ribs of the cone, it's the marks right at the edge of the paper cone where it joins with the linen surround. They match up with the grille perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Has anyone ever heard of a speaker becoming unglued? It happened to me my very first gig. 5 notes into the tune and blammo...the cone literally became unglued from the shell. To this day I will never own another PyleDriver. That's what they remind me of. I replaced it one of the heaviest duty eminences on the market. It would have been a JBL instead, but they would have had to retool the cab. That bastard was pretty weighty. And it handled everything I could put into it. It wasn't worth the $$$for the cabinet mod. So I went with the Eminence which worked out quite well. No more Pyles O' S*** in my territory.

Archived