General Connectivity help ...

• Members

Hey everybody, just needed some quick connection help as i'm a bit of a newbie and i'm getting a little confused how to connect my gear ...

I'm assuming the typical flow should be ... Mixer - EQ - Crossover - Amps ...

My EQ is a dbx 1231, Crossover is a dbx 223XL run in 2 way Mono mode.

Now, from the Mixer ... two xlr cables ... LEFT and RIGHT ... which go to the 1231 EQ where ? The EQ is dual, so top one has OUTPUT and INPUT and same for the second part of the EQ ... how does this connect when the mixer was two outputs (left and right) ... but the EQ was one INPUT ? (i want to use the top EQ for FOH mix, and bottom part for monitors)

So this is the main problem ... the second problem ... how do i go from the EQ to Crossover ...

From there i understand on the crossover to amplifiers ...

CHANNEL 1 - HIGH LOW INPUT ..... CHANNEL 2 - HIGH LOW INPUT ...

So Ch.1 and Ch.2 Highs go to the Amp powering my tops and then Ch.1 and Ch.2 Lows go to the Amp powering the Lows ...

That middle section is a little confusing for me ...

Thank you for your help !!

• Members

Ah, i see what you're saying ... so would it be better to have a different type of EQ for my setup ?? ... i don't see the point of using the top eq for my tops and the bottom eq for the subs ... would it not be more usefull to use 1 31-band EQ for my whole FOH ??

• Members

To make this real simple, just use one of the outputs from the board to one of the inputs on the EQ. From there, the EQ out to the crossover. The crossover high out to the amp running the tops, the crossover low out to the amp running the subs. You dont need to use every input and output. You are running mono so make life a little easier on yourself.

• Members

Ya, i understand what he is saying with respect to that ... i just must be retarded and not seeing the point of having that ... ?

31 band EQ basically covers the full range of frequencies you are playing ... so why would you need Channel 1 to go through 31 bands of eq and Channel 2 going through 31 bands of EQ ?? Would it not be more normal to have both channels going through ONE 31 band EQ ??

Thx for all your help guys !

• Members

Ah, i see what you're saying ... so would it be better to have a different type of EQ for my setup ?? ... i don't see the point of using the top eq for my tops and the bottom eq for the subs ... would it not be more usefull to use 1 31-band EQ for my whole FOH ??

No.

Left out of the mixer into the top eq input.

Right out of the mixer into the bottom eq input.

Top out of the eq into the left crossover input.

Bottom out of the eq into the right crossover input.

Left high out of the crossover into the left channel input of the tops amp.

Right high out of the crossover into the right channel input of the tops amp.

Left low out of the crossover into the left channel input of the sub amp.

Right low out of the crossover into the right channel input of the sub amp.

Think of the top half of the eq as the left channel and the bottom as the right. Just daisy chain left outs to left ins, and right outs to right ins.

• Members

So essentially you will have to do 2 separate EQ's for each side of your speakers ?? Or can you eq the top (so left side) ... then make it the exact same on the bottom eq (right) ... i'm really not seeing the point of EQ'ing each side separately in a 2-way mono system ...

• Members

Because you would only be using a certain number of bands for your tops and a certain number of bands for your bottoms; corresponding with whatever your crossover is set at.

For example, you would have 25 bands functioning with your high & mid frequencies, the other 6 useless and on the other 6 bands functioning with your low frequencies and the other 25 useless.

• Members

No.

Right out of the mixer into the bottom eq input.

Bottom out of the eq into the right crossover input.

Right high out of the crossover into the right channel input of the tops amp.

Right low out of the crossover into the right channel input of the sub amp.

Think of the top half of the eq as the left channel and the bottom as the right. Just daisy chain left outs to left ins, and right outs to right ins.

This is good for a stereo or dual mono rig but it might be more complicated then it has to be for the OP.

• Members

Only thing missing is the 1/4" jumper between inputs 1 and 2 of the amps.

• Members

I am honestly completely confused right now lol ....

We run 2 way Mono ... meaning same mix/level coming out each side of the speakers. (left and right) ... each side has a EV QRX 112 and a QRX 118S ...

the subs are powered to one amp, and the tops are powered to second amp.

I'm just having difficluty understanding the purpose of having a dual 31 band EQ ... would it not be more usefull to have 1 31-band EQ to do a complete FOH equalization for all the speakers ?? Why separate the left side to one 31 band eq and the right to another ?? I'm trying to understand the purpose and usefullness of the dual 31 band eq ...

Thanks !!

• Members

One channel of EQ cannot process the Left and the Right signal without mixing the two. Once you mix the two you can't separate them again.

If you want to use one channel of your EQ for the monitors and you are running your rig in mono anyway then follow jwlussow's advice.

If you want to run stereo, using both your board's outputs (Left and Right) then each one needs their own channel of equalization, even if you just want to adjust them in the same way.

The crossover and thus the "two-way" part is after the EQ so for the purposes of understanding the EQ forget about that.

Just use the "top" or ch. 1 of your EQ for the mains (left only or mono if your board has it) and use the "bottom" or ch. 2 for your monitors (aux 1).

Do note also that you can only run 1 monitor send through here, you only have 1 channel available. Another possibility if you need more is to get another EQ and run either in stereo (using 2 channels of EQ) and 2 monitor sends or still run mono (1 EQ channel) and have 3 monitor sends.

Mono = 1 channel from the board

Dual Mono = 2 channels from the board (left and right) into 2 complete sets of processing (EQ channels, crossover channels, amp channels) but with the same signal in both. Gives you the ability for stereo but you don't have anything panned left or right at the moment

Stereo = 2 channels from the board as above through 2 sets of processing and amps. And you use stereo meaning things are panned to one side or the other. Generally not advised for bar band type things as different audience members will hear different mixes.

BTW nic gear list. Somebody did their HW.

• Members

I think you understand but you don't realize it yet. The dual EQ can be used for different (or same) EQ settings for each side of the mains. Occasionally on hard panned stereo sends, the EQ can be a little different on each side. You do not need to use both sides of the EQ. Best idea (in my opinion) is to do what samkokajko says and use one side for mains and the other for monitors.

• Members

As stated if you want stereo capabilities then you need two separate EQ's, preferably in one unit.

Why would you want to maintain stereo, even if you're essentially running dual mono? How about one speaker stack is close to the bar, and the guitar player is on the bar side. In a small room it would help panning the guitar a bit (or a lot) to the other side. How about one stack is right next to mirrors... you could bring some highs down, in just that stack. And so on, and so on.

If that kind of a thing is never or rarely a problem, then don't bother - just run mono and call it a day.

• Members

So essentially you will have to do 2 separate EQ's for each side of your speakers ?? Or can you eq the top (so left side) ... then make it the exact same on the bottom eq (right) ... i'm really not seeing the point of EQ'ing each side separately in a 2-way mono system ...

If you run left and right out of the mixer, that's stereo.

• Members

We run 2 way Mono ... meaning same mix/level coming out each side of the speakers. (left and right)

That's not what mono means. Mono would be one signal coming out of the mixer. You're running stereo. Left and right just happen to be the same. You could run mono, but then you'd only need to use one part of your eq.

• CMS Author

We run 2 way Mono ... meaning same mix/level coming out each side of the speakers. (left and right) ... each side has a EV QRX 112 and a QRX 118S ...

the subs are powered to one amp, and the tops are powered to second amp.

I'm just having difficluty understanding the purpose of having a dual 31 band EQ ... would it not be more usefull to have 1 31-band EQ to do a complete FOH equalization for all the speakers ?? Why separate the left side to one 31 band eq and the right to another ?? I'm trying to understand the purpose and usefullness of the dual 31 band eq ...

Thanks !!

Dude, really? It's two EQ's in one box. If you wanted ONE equalizer, why'd you buy a dual unit?

to answer your questions; you would use both EQ's:

1. If you were running in stereo. If you join the two channels to go into one EQ, it ain't stereo no more.

2. If you were running dual mono and understood that both sides of the room had different acoustics or your mic and speaker placements were different enough that feedback response was different. With two EQ's you can adjust the left side separately from the right, maximizing gain and having flatter response in the room.

3. You are running FOH into one EQ and need the extra EQ for something else. Maybe you use it for a monitor send. Maybe your bassist wants to do something super-cool and you use that EQ for it. Maybe you just want a spare EQ because you're careful like that.

• Members

Gotcha jwlussow ... i completely looked past just going out the LEFT on the mixer for mono and not both left and right.

My only last question in crossover to amps ...

We have 2 subs on one power amp, and our 2 tops on another amp (one sub on ch.1 the other on ch.2 and same with tops) ... how do i make that connection? crossover has ch.1 and ch.2 ... if i go from crossover HIGH ch.1 ... thats only one connection to the power amp ... do i not need connections to the power amp ?

• Members

Gotcha jwlussow ... i completely looked past just going out the LEFT on the mixer for mono and not both left and right.

We have 2 subs on one power amp, and our 2 tops on another amp (one sub on ch.1 the other on ch.2 and same with tops) ... how do i make that connection? crossover has ch.1 and ch.2 ... if i go from crossover HIGH ch.1 ... thats only one connection to the power amp ... do i not need connections to the power amp ?

The amp should have a parallel setting. This means that you plug the cable into CH1 on the amp but a signal is sent out through both channels.

So with the amps in parrallel mode your audio chain would be this:

Mixer mono out -> eq ch1 in

eq ch1 out -> crossover input

crossover high out -> ch1 on the mains amp

crossover low out -> ch1 on the subs amp

As long as you have the amps in parallel mode this will work like it supposed to.

If your not sure how to set your amps in parallel mode post the make and model up in here and myself or someone else can tell you how.

• Members

You can also take a short 1/4" patch cord and run it between the Channel 1 and Channel 2 inputs. That send the same signal to both sides of the amp. So Channel 1 will have the input from the board and a 1/4" patch in it and Channel 2 will have the other end of the 1?4" patch. Hook up the subs one each into each side and your ready to go. Same with the top amp.

• Members

All your help is much appreciated. I know it can be frustrating answering these newbie questions, but i really appreciate all your help guys.

We have two QSC amps ... PLX3402 and a RMX2450. I'm sure i can figure out how to run these in parellel mode.

My only questions is, how are we running this system at the moment ?? Again, 1 top into ch.1 the 2nd top to ch.2 (on the RMX2450) and one sub into ch.1 and the other sub into ch.2 (on the PLX3402) ... what mode would this be ?? Dual Mono ? and what exactly is the difference between Mono and Dual Mono ?

Thanks again !!

Archived