Yamaha GA32/12 mixer and JBL sf22sp powered sub

• Members

Hey all

Have any of you had any experience or heard anything about this mixer and these subs ? I can get the mixer for about $700 and the subs for about $250 each But I have never used eitheror heard much about them. I have used the yamaha mg32/14fx and it was fine but it seems that this mixer does much more . Any help would be welcome . Here's a link to the specs on the yammy mixer

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D41209%252526CTID%25253D560489,00.html

Thanks

• Members

It's physically a lot bigger board, alot a 2 person move always. It does have the 4 band swept eq and 10 auxes, great monitor board for sure. There are 2 stereo channels to the left of the master section and they are like 9/10 and 11/12 which is kinda odd. If it was 13/14 15/16 that would match teh A&H stuff but still, odd. Also the switches next to the 1st 4 auxes I don't totally understand. I get it then forget...

• Members

My church has those subs. Really depends on the application. They're a budget, 250w (i think) a side sub.

They arent going to give you concert sound.

That said, i have always thought the ones at my church sound pretty good for what they are. Not all that loud. The guys at church have them cranked to a point where each hit of the kick goes into limiting, they've been doing this for years and they're still going.

Basically, if you're thinking "i can't afford subs but those are cheap" they'll probably do the job.

As for the mixer, not familiar with the exact model but if i saw it at that price i'd buy it.

Heath

• Members

SF (Sound Factor) was a budget line. IMO a bit better than the current JRX, but not by much.

I drove a GA32/12 for years. They are an OK sounding board. There are a few strange things about it for being primarily a monitor board.

Even though it's a 10 aux board (plus stereo mail out - giving you 12 outputs), only auxes 1 thru 4 have output inserts (for graphics). Those same auxes are switchable pre/post as a whole group (not per channel strip). There is a gap between the strip EQ's where there's no control. Yes the channel numbering scheme is a bit weird (we just relabeled everything to make logical sense.

They are kind of a budget board in that they aren't individual strips but in groups of 8 (It think the phantom was set up that way as well). For being a budget board though thet were indestructable. I mixed literaly thousands of shows and the darned thing wouldn't die (We were trying to get managment to spring for a PM5D). Finaly a flood took it out and it was deemed unreliable. I took it home to part it out on Ebay.

The strange thing is (after drying out) it all still worked. Simply amazing! $700 might be a bit high for it unless it's really clean (they haven't made them for better than 10 years).

FWIW if you buy it and want another one for parts, I'll sell you mine (complete board) for $200 + s &H. I think aux 7 may have a problem but otherwise everything still works. Remember that a MAJOR flood poured through this board for about 24 hours. PM me if interested.

Archived