any suggestions for new wireless handheld mic system

• Members

im starting to research upgrading my shure ut2-vk wireless beta 58 handheld mic system. the fcc has given it until june 2010...so i thought since its getting up there in age (and has worked flawlessly since the day i got it) id start looking for an upgrade. first off...i loved this mic. its bulletproof! always sounds great and was very good bang for the buck. id like to stick with the shure beta series...but im open for suggestion as this is a pretty old mic and im sure technology has gotten much better.

im a male rock singer and play out at least 3 times a week. the system will be used in my p.a. but also in others so it needs to be easily transported. my voice is along the lines of chris robinson of the black crowes (thats the best way i can describe it...i guess). i like it to cut throught the mix and be very clear when i speak..thats why i liked the beta 58...well...it worked for my needs.

anyways...budget...is on the lowside. looking for bang for the buck...but not entry level. a little better than the ut series (ut series was discontinued awhile back)..lets say the 400 to 600 range..but can go a little higher if i dont eat for a few weeks

• Members

Won't the capsule transfer over to a newer Shure wireless system? If so, I'd go with an SLX system w/ a SM58 and use your capsule. Even if you pay MAP (hopefully you don't), it's in your price end, but on the very high side. If you've been happy so far, might as well stick with it.

Otherwise, I use the Sennheiser EW135 and it's rock solid while sounding great. Of course, that's also at the top end of your price range. It's still relatively new and has some cool wiz-dads that the older Shure systems don't incorporate.

• Members

The capsule will not transfer, it is 1/2 the problem. Sennhieser has a newer version of the EW135 that doesn't use that band either, older units may fall into that range though.

I really like the ATW3000 and 2000 series. I own 8 units of 2000 and they have been great all around. Very easy to use, plug and play.

• Members

The capsule will not transfer, it is 1/2 the problem. Sennhieser has a newer version of the EW135 that doesn't use that band either, older units may fall into that range though.

I really like the ATW3000 and 2000 series. I own 8 units of 2000 and they have been great all around. Very easy to use, plug and play.

Doesn't the UT unscrew? I haven't worked on one of those, they don't fall into the pro catagory by a long shot, but I thought they standardized on the screw mounting system.

• Members

it does unscrew but i guess i would need both the transmitter and the handheld...im going to look at the at 3000 and 2000 series..seems like they get a lot of love on this forum.

anyone use any of the ev wireless units? or the new line 6 unit?

• Members

im starting to research upgrading my shure ut2-vk wireless beta 58 handheld mic system. the fcc has given it until june 2010...

So how long should the one you buy work until you have to replace it again?

I'm guessing anything (part 74 ... standard wireless mics) in the uhf band will work without too much problem for maybe 3 years ... maybe only 1 year ... maybe less depending on where you try to use it. Nobody can say for certain.

It probably won't become illegal but it will likely suffer from so much interference that you'll be running from it.

• Members

I would give the Line 6 stuff a look and a listen. I like mine so far, but haven't done more than preliminary work with it. I'll see how it does in a full band setting here in a few days.

I tried, but they weren't interested in showing it to me... in fact they weren't even sure they had one at NAMM. Too bad Don wasn't there in the booth.

• Members

Yeah, we were pretty swamped.

I was just surprised that your booth was not set up to show the equipment you sell. How do they expect new dealer prospects to see what you guys have in pro audio if they didn't already know about it? Kind of like a best kept secret.

• Members

So how long should the one you buy work until you have to replace it again?

I'm guessing anything (part 74 ... standard wireless mics) in the uhf band will work without too much problem for maybe 3 years ... maybe only 1 year ... maybe less depending on where you try to use it. Nobody can say for certain.

While it may not be that anyone can say for certain, what can be said is that A) they will remain legal for several years to come, at least, and B) that when licensed, wireless mics will take priority over "white space devices". Even if unlicensed, wireless mics will be on the same legal footing as these WSDs, and of similar power. So if used carefully, they will continue to work.

It probably won't become illegal but it will likely suffer from so much interference that you'll be running from it.

As far as we can tell, use of wireless mics between 470-698 MHz WILL NOT become illegal. As far as interference, the standard rules and preparation apply. Yes, the potential interference is ever on the rise, in all parts of the spectrum. Yes, equipment must continue to get smarter, better built, etc. and of course used properly to continue being used.

The UHF band (about 230 MHz wide) is a much larger piece of spectrum than any of the alternative bands like the "944" band used by broadcasters (8 MHz from 944-952 MHz) and the ISM band (26 MHz from 902-928 MHz). All the alternative bands also have their own sources of interference, too. There is no magic bullet.

• Members

Yes, equipment must continue to get smarter, better built, etc.

You heard it here first :thu:

There is no magic bullet

Well maybe there IS a smart one!

There are two issues to this discussion ... being "legal" and actually "performing acceptably".

You've never been legal so do you really care? So while your unit may "continue to work", will it work acceptably. That depends on your level of tolerance to interference, but this is the question that is most important.

• Members

You heard it here first
:thu:

Well maybe there IS a smart one!

There are two issues to this discussion ... being "legal" and actually "performing acceptably".

Agreed. In this latest move, the FCC has just made 2M+ wireless mics inn use in the US legal. Before that, they may have been considered "illegal" but the FCC knew and turned a blind eye. Since there were basically no complaints, they knew the situation was benign.

About performing "acceptably" I'm sure you would agree that just about all of Shure's, Lectrosonics', Sennheiser's, etc. equipment would generally be considered to perform much more than acceptably. Sure - the bottom feeder equipment may not work as well today as it did 10 years ago, the good stuff is still the good stuff.

You've never been legal so do you really care? So while your unit may "continue to work", will it work acceptably. That depends on your level of tolerance to interference, but this is the question that is most important.

You mean Lectrosonics? Of all the wireless mic manufacturers out there, I would say that our users represent the highest percentage of licensed "legal by the letter of the law" users than any other manufacturer. That's because a large portion of our equipment is used by TV broadcasters, film makers, news crews and the like. Sure, we definitely care. And we as a company have never put out any product that did not conform to the letter of the law, either part 15 or part 74, in terms of FCC approvals for the products themselves.

And no matter who's equipment it is, we must all tolerate a measure of interference, registered either as dropouts, reduced range, pops, "hits", etc. some equipment is better than others - the "good" wireless from the past 10 years is already excellent at minimizing these problems. The cheap stuff causes much frustration.

Even digital wireless is not immune, as evidenced by the wildly different reports about operating range. Sure, some of this is due to user error, and some is due to the fact that the RF noise floor is high, or that there are strong signals just outside the band causing these issues.

• Members

Naw ... I was talking about users being legal. I would agree that Lectrosonics probably is among the leaders in percent of legal users ... but in the history of wireless there are fewer than 1000 licenses and by your number maybe 2 million users so being number one ain't that big a deal.;)

I also agree that good stuff has always performed better than cheap stuff in the past and agree it will perform better than cheap stuff (well, analog cheap stuff) in the future. My question is will that "better" be good enough. No one can answer with certainty because no one knows exactly what traditional TV/UHF wireless will have to compete with and when.

As far as I know all major wireless manufacturers are developing new digital wireless to deal with the future.

As far as digital being immune I have to say that all digital is not the same. Speaking for myself only I can say that interference cannot ever cause a pop, hum, buzz or a taxicab/CB trucker in your radio. With analog interference the result is always audible to some extent in the system.

Archived