System Power Question

• CMS Author

Actually, thank you for providing the details, and not expecting miracles;). Being particular and paying attention to seemingly trivial details is what can separate a real success from a real failure in this business (as in IT....I'm in the biz too).

In my opinion what you have now is fine for the tasks you've described. Be sure to HPF the subs at a reasonable frequency (the box resonant Hz is fine).

Keep the amp racks small as possible. The HF amp could be another of the Crest's if you limit in the DR260 to the recommended power. This would give you some flexibility in using that amp for a spare or for any of the more unusual gigging arrangements, simply by adjusting your limiter for more power. It's one of the few times a bigger amp than needed is a good idea and not wasted money.

• Members

I'd swap the mid and sub amps, use the 4k on subs and 2.8k on mids. The 1800 would be a great on horns, even something the next size down too. 3 boxes per side would bring the nominal impeadance down to 2.6ohms and I just don't see a problem with it. You may find you want more subs and that config you could add another pair @ 2 ohms or add/rent another cc4k.

Looking at the 4ohm spec of the subs maybe the 4k should be on mids then. oh well.

DR260 is a great controller, make a patch panel too.

sounds like a great rig!

• Members

Thanks for the comments.

I'm fortunate to have this rig. It is perfect for indoor gigs up to 300 or so people. (easier on the back muscles too )

I use the CC 2800 on the sub because it matches the sub 4 ohm power spec pretty good. The CC 4000 seems to work a bit better on the mids.

Good to hear I'm not headed down a wrong path on the 2 ohm load. I've never ever run any rig down to 2 ohms, but the venue we just picked up has an odd shaped room and 3 mid/high cabs per side works well for directional coverage.

I'm going to test it and see what happens.

• Members

Thank you all for the comments

I'm thinking I'm on the right track.

It's great to know I have friends "in the business" to keep me on the straight and narrow.

The people that make up this forum are an invaluable resource.

Thanks again for your unselfish and valuable advice.

Archived