Event Insurance Cost?

• Members

Hi All -

I am throwing my own Wedding Reception, and bringing in my Rig, band, lights etc. Hotel has asked for us to carry our own insurance.

I talked to my Allstate agent, and they came back with a quote of $350 for the event, for up to 2,000,000 Liabiklity & 1,000,000 personal injury.

Does this sound right to you? Seems kind of pricey to me, but in the grand Scheme, maybe not. I have little experience with this, so thought I'd ask.

Best,

Todd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is that coverage for the year, or the event?

I have personal liability insurance that's similar to your quote. It's on a per year basis, through the American Federation of Musicians. It's cheaper than your quote, but "we" get a deal on our insurance because of bulk buying power.

Nice to have the coverage.

• Members

Make sure those limits are acceptable to the hotel. Some of my venues require higher coverages. Not too far out of line since this is just a single event.

Yes, they are actually in excess of what the hotel requires... I covered my house & property as well...

Seems steep for a coupel of light stands & 2 PA speakers.

T

• Members

Hi All -

I am throwing my own Wedding Reception, and bringing in my Rig, band, lights etc. Hotel has asked for us to carry our own insurance.

I talked to my Allstate agent, and they came back with a quote of $350 for the event, for up to 2,000,000 Liabiklity & 1,000,000 personal injury.

Does this sound right to you? Seems kind of pricey to me, but in the grand Scheme, maybe not. I have little experience with this, so thought I'd ask.

Best,

Todd

It sounds similar to what I have paid in the past for a one off.

Dennis

• Members

Ok, so heres the deal:

This is YOUR band and YOUR wedding. Meaning its not a commercial opportunity for you. The wedding reception is one day (I'm guessing)? The hall probably wants 1 million in liab coverage. So what you do is call your *ack*AllState*ack* agent and tell him for these three days (day before, day of, day after) I want my home owner's liability to be increased to 1 million. I also want "such and such venue" listed as an additional insured and I'd like a certificate showing it, to provide to said venue.

1 mil in coverage on your home owners should cost no more than 100 extra FOR THE YEAR, which means divide that by only 3 days... and your cost is minimal.

The following should be true: "Are you paying your band for services rendered?" "NO."

Ta da!

Now if you need more than 1 million, then you're going to get into murky waters, because you'll probably need to purchase an umbrella policy if you don't already have one, because most home policies max out at 1 million coverage.

This would be TOTALLY different, if your band was playing at MY wedding, or if my band was playing at YOUR wedding. But since its your band at your wedding... no biggie! :D

Have fun!

• Members

Is it really your band? Is alcohol being served?

Some homeowner's policies are pretty good about this but some are not. This is where a good relationship with your agent would be helpful.

It's certainly worth the phone call to ask. Maybe you will end up on the good side ofthe insurance industry for a change ;)

• Members

Even if its not your band, you'll still be fine with what I suggested. You'll just need to be sure the band has their own commercial policy as well. We do this all the time. In fact, last saturday I did this for a funeral. :( With these certs... because aged horse is correct... if something goes wrong the person suing is going to sue everyone and anyone that even sneezed at your event... the cert just says, ok if something goes wrong we'll represent you, the venue, too.

Ask your agent, if he's not trying to make a buck off you, he'll get this done for under $20.

• Members

Even if its not your band, you'll still be fine with what I suggested. You'll just need to be sure the band has their own commercial policy as well. We do this all the time. In fact, last saturday I did this for a funeral.
:(
With these certs... because aged horse is correct... if something goes wrong the person suing is going to sue everyone and anyone that even sneezed at your event... the cert just says, ok if something goes wrong we'll represent you, the venue, too.

Ask your agent, if he's not trying to make a buck off you, he'll get this done for under $20.

Risky at best... Just checked with my insurance agent (who is also my mother-in-law). A lot depends on what state your in and what the laws are. In Ohio your advice would not work.

• Members

It seems like I used to pay around $350 PER YEAR for a $1,000,000 liability bond. That was back in the 80s but that does sound steep.

Whoever mentioned it earlier was absolutly correct. You are not insuring your equipment you are insuring the broken neck of the guy who triped over your speaker stand or untaped cable.

• Members

It seems like I used to pay around $350 PER YEAR for a $1,000,000 liability bond. That was back in the 80s but that does sound steep.

Whoever mentioned it earlier was absolutly correct. You are not insuring your equipment you are insuring the broken neck of the guy who triped over your speaker stand or untaped cable.

Even if the stand was bright orange and they tripped over a wireless system someone will try and sue!

• Members

At my "regular job" I build the electrical control systems for underground mining ventilation systems. Essentially a life support system for up to 600 people underground in a single mine at any one time.

Our liability insurance rates makes most doctors cringe!

• CMS Author

Hehehe...The Ryan cat is banned. Wonder if he was trolling me? that would suck.

His myspace said he's worked as an ins. agent for a little over two years. While the advice he gave was probably well-intentioned, it's poor practice to dispense professional advice without having all your facts. Did he ever ask in what state (or country??) you reside?

He was banned for his behavior two days ago, not this. I gave him the opportunity to apologize to you guys for the insults, etc. and he ignored it. foose4string is also banned for his attacks, but only for 2 weeks.

Archived