Search not working... budget snake advice?

• Members

We need a 16x8 100' snake... have $300. Have narrowed choices down to:

Audiopile - $350 + shipping (Maybe find used within budget? Good Rep.)

Seismic Audio - $250 shipped new (has 1/4 AND XLR on Returns)

OSP - $280 shipped new (Neutrik connectors)

We've tried to snag several used Whirlwind/etc. snakes at our price point but so far no dice.

Advice?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

I'd eliminate the Seismic unit from the list immediately; no-name connectors. If they were Neutrik or Switchcraft, you can bet that would be spelled out in the product description. Snakes are just cable and connectors, so if either is deficient (and I've seen my share of crap M.I.C. connectors that fail or even won't plug in) you're in for some expensive disappointment.

• Members

Audiopile is the only real choice you've got listed. Great product, great build, great price and more importantly great customer service.

The Seismic Audio is very poor quality. IF it works when you get it and you never move it you might get by with it, but for any road work it will fail and very quickly. Most likely the connectors, but I'm not a fan of thier cable selection either. I purchased several and all but one has been left semi functional.

The OSP I have no experience with, but my gut tells me... (see above). But if the cable is decent and they're using Nuetrik connectors; who knows?

• Members

I'd really like to try an Audiopile snake, but unless we can find one used it's just not in the cards right now.

We were thinking of giving the OSP a shot. Based on

it looks like they are made pretty well. It'd be nice to have parallel TRS on some of the returns... but we can always add those on a few of the returns.

If we get one (like to buy a snake by the end of the month) I'll report back on quality and how it holds up on our road test.

Anyone with a used 100'-150' 16x8 or 24x4 snake that could get it to me for $300 let me know!

• Members

I purchased a 24x8x100' seismic audio snake on eBay for under $300 shipped (I think it was about $250 actually). The guy had all sorts of trouble getting it shipped to me and wasn't the best at communicating but eventually got one in stock and sent it out to me...Only he shipped be the OSP 24x8x100' w/neutrik connectors.

I didn't use it all that mutch but it was a pretty decent snake I guess. Connectors were good and everything felt pretty sturdy. The connection to the stage box didn't feel so good though, seemed a little iffy. Also the main snake cables didn't maneuver very well. Maybe I just needed to break it in but for me my vote goes to the audiopile. Mark is a great guy and has a great product.

• Members

Also note that OSP has at least 3 levels of quality on their snakes.

The little cheapie 8 ch snakes (insert, extension, etc) are all REALLY crappy and sometimes function.

They then have the bigger snakes with their "standard" connectors

And finally the big snakes with neutrik connectors.

Each level is a significant jump in quality and the top one is comparable to livewire and I would say better then jade audio.

The bottom level is cheap. Just plain cheap.

• Members

I bought an OSP 6X2 30ft snake for drum mics two years ago, it fell apart immediately, don't waste your time or money with OSP. I just bought a 16X8 100ft snake from Audiopile, money well spent.

I have never used OSP, but I have heard similar horror stories. For a no-risk solution get the EWI snake.

• Members

How did it fall apart?

It had the box 3 on 3 design. You plugged in a mic cable and the connectors on the box broke, like the mounting screws were barely long enough to keep them mounted to the box. It had 2 channels that didn't work regardless of the connectors.

• Members

We need a 16x8 100' snake...
have
$300. Have narrowed choices down to:

- $350 + shipping (Maybe find used within budget? Good Rep.)

- $250 shipped new (has 1/4 AND XLR on Returns)

- $280 shipped new (Neutrik connectors)

We've tried to snag several used Whirlwind/etc. snakes at our price point but so far no dice.

Advice?

So for $50 plus shipping you are willing (or even enthusiastic?) about buying "junk"?

Good grief, wait a couple of months and save your pennies so you don't waste $250.

This is a good example of buying right the first time. Junk snakes have no resale value, and for good reason.

• CMS Author

So for $50 plus shipping you are willing (or even enthusiastic?) about buying "junk"?

Good grief, wait a couple of months and save your pennies so you don't waste $250.

This is a good example of buying right the first time. Junk snakes have no resale value, and for good reason.

For the cost of a couple of mediocre meals out, or a couple of movies with popcorn, you've got a good snake vs one that sounds like a horror story.

• Members

Which is exactly why I've been trying to buy a quality used snake... EWI, WHirlwind, etc... they're already reduced to used market value (but probably still work like new because they're made well to begin with) and I'd be able unload it for relatively the same price if we outgrew it.

FWIW, I totally agree with everything that you're saying... and thanks for all of the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Honestly though, it's more like a $120 difference from OSP to EWI when taking everything into account... and while I'm sure that Mark's customer service (or at least his hilarious posts here) are worth every penny ... we just don't have it right now. The fact that he has yet to chime in on this because I'm asking about one of his products vs. other products shows class... although I won't dock you points Mark if at this point you do chime in... ;)

I know that $120 seems like nothing, but it's 43% more than the OSP and given that we're "making payments" on the better gear that we purchased because we made it a priority to NOT buy bottom-feeder gear in those areas... the snake is just an area that we are willing to take the risk, I guess.

Mostly we'll probably not even use it and would mix from stage. That's the reality. Having an awesome snake that stays at home half the time does me little good if I don't have EQs to ring out the monitors and fight feedback every gig, or if I have cheap crappy sounding mains, or etc.

But thanks again... and keep the comments coming!

• Members

I'd really like to try an Audiopile snake, but unless we can find one used it's just not in the cards right now.

We were thinking of giving the OSP a shot. Based on
it looks like they are made pretty well. It'd be nice to have parallel TRS on some of the returns... but we can always add those on a few of the returns.

If we get one (like to buy a snake by the end of the month) I'll report back on quality and how it holds up on our road test.

Anyone with a used 100'-150' 16x8 or 24x4 snake that could get it to me for $300 let me know!

Agedhorse addressed this but it was also my first thought.

Just from a tactical standpoint why would you buy a product that has been reported here as everthing from junk, to just okay. Why not get the recommended product?

Do you realize how expensive it will be to buy two snakes? An extra $70.00 (EDIT $120.00) dollars is way cheaper than an extra $280.00 dollars.

Because I'm in Canada, I've never had the opportunity to order from Mark. However, judging from his reputation here, if I could, I would deal with him before most/all of the big boys re: all things cables and cases.

• Members

I suspect Mark's recovering from NAMM as are the rest of us.

Ok, spend an extra $120 for a good snake or buy something that's likely to be a problem. It's a no-brainer for me, and I suspect there's no resale value for junk too.

Really, a snake is not a place to go cheap on.

Archived