Question about Yorkville E404 / SW800

• Members

Hello again folks. So sorry to be THE HUGE PITA I am but I was checking out CL and I found a listing of these speaks . Are these any good? They are the Yorkville E404 / SW800. I realize they are passive and a Xover does come with the package and they fit my budget quite nicely. I did some research on the tops and the subs I am not finding any specs on, therefore, I can't compare to the QSC subs. Can someone please advise me on this? Used VS. New? Chance vs warranty? Subs/tops vs. 3 way? Driving long distance vs short distance? Two heavies vs one heavy. Passive vs active? Less expensive vs. more expensive? Are the Yorkies worth it? For renting I am leaning more towards QSC just for the brand name. If the Yorkies sound just as goo, why not? No way to tell until they are A-B'd. No way that will happen unless they are purchased and I cannot return the Yorkies. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

PEACE

• Members

Here is the info on the tops.

Basically they are quite efficient, do not handle a lot of power, and are heavy at 80lbs. I would not like to lift them onto stands alone.

The subs are the earliest version of the SW800/ES808/LS808 family. They are all basically the same speaker with some changes in box design and woofers. The SW800 canme with a very good RCF woofer. Any of those subs hit like a ton of bricks. QSC subs are not even close with regards to output.

As far as I can recall they go back to the mid 90s.

Like anything else, their value to you is relative to your needs, their condition, and how much they cost.

Frankly they had better be in great condition and dirt cheap to be considered.

• Members

A close friend of mine uses the 404s on all of his gigs and never stops bragging about how good they sound, they are 4 ohm cabs which is good. I use a set of the smaller SW600 subs in my band with the M600 tops and I think they're great for a small gig. Paul.

• Members

If the SW800's are in decent shape, they are a great bang for the buck sub cabinet and as Harmonycat stated, they were loaded with RCF drivers. Same basic cabinet as the modern LS808.

I still have a pair w/ 4ohm RCF drivers that I use w/ EV ZX3's for small SOS jobs, drum fills, side fills, center subs, etc. I like the 4ohm driver as it makes powering them properly relatively simple w/ a small amp.

Actually, these were purchased by myself and a few other band mates back in the early 90's. A couple years later, after the band fizzled out, we sold these and some other gear off to a local sound guy. Back in 07' or so, the guy we sold them to was going to sell them cheap, so I snagged them up again from him. and they still perform flawlessly.

Give them a look and more importantly a listen. You should be able to pick them up for $500-$600 for the pair. If so, you'll have a hard time finding a better sub at a better price.

• Members

Thanks for the responses. Tops, subs and a Xover for $1200.00. Is that a deal?

Only if they are in really good shape.

I paid about $1300 US for four subs all in mint condition. They consisted of a virtually brand new pair of ES608s and a pair of excellent condition LS608s. They would have been about 2850 US out the door including taxes here in Canada. That works out to be 45 cents on the dollar.

If I were you I would price a new pair of LS808s and count the subs as $600 for the pair and see how it works out. In good condition 30 cents on the dollar should be about it.

• Members

I found the CL ad. They look decent in the pic. They come with the Yorkville processor specifically for those speakers. Especially nice if you want to bi-amp. One thing to realize is, at 80 lbs, the 404's are quite heavy. Only a big deal if you find yourself shy on help when setting up as these aren't something you'll likely be able to pole mount by yourself.

Take a flashlight with you and examine woofers of all 4 cabinets, especially the surrounds. Look for tears and discoloration from someone spilling something. My guess is he'll take $1000. If in good shape, and the right tools for the job, I'd think that would be worth it.

• Members

The SW800's are listed as 800 watts program Max SPL @ 1m 135db. What those numbers really mean is anyones guess (unless they measure for themselves) but it looks impressive:) As stated condition would be the prime concern. Also they do have hhave the RCF drivers as mentioned.

I have a pair of the EX-401's the earlier version of the E404's. I also used the E404's back in the day. I quite like the EX-401's and have used them about six times last year (slightly smaller pack space than my U15's).

I do recall that it was a real struggle mounting the E404's by myself - and that's when I was younger. I use crank stands now.

The E404's are good speakers if the price is right. I would actually prefer them to the current crop that now come armed with the B&C or Eighteen Sound drivers (like the Yorkville E15...).

Lots of speakers out there, and I don't have to tell you that it can be a tough decision. Think about truck pack, set-up ease, cost, warranty, importance of brand badge, and so on. It might narrow down your search.

• Members

Hello folks, Thanks for the wonderful responses. I have to tell you, though, my wife & I discussed it and she highly recommends that we go new. That means the QSC beasts wins out even though the budget is calling for a much less costly speaker system. Like someone mentioned to me in another thread, "Don't cheap on the speaks or drum mics!" I will follow this advice 2 the T even if i have to beg Obama for cash. :lol:

• Members

Since when have wives been right?;)

Screw buying new. Grab those suckers. Yorkvilles are about as reliable as it gets anyways right? What's going to happen? You're gonna buy them and they'll all gonna blow at the same time?

I don't think so.

• Members

Hello folks, Thanks for the wonderful responses. I have to tell you, though, my wife & I discussed it and she highly recommends that we go new. That means the QSC beasts wins out even though the budget is calling for a much less costly speaker system. Like someone mentioned to me in another thread, "Don't cheap on the speaks or drum mics!" I will follow this advice 2 the T even if i have to beg Obama for cash.
:lol:

Classic.......... Spend money that's not in the budget. You should run for office.

• Members

Yorkville speakers may be very reliable, but the E404 is over 10 years old. Who knows how they've been used and how much life is left in them. At 80lbs, they are also very heavy. They are good speakers, though. I rented a pair LONG AGO to DJ a bar gig, and they sounded very nice and got loud too, but it was painful to carry them to and from my vehicle. What exactly are you using this system for?

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

Archived