Bass cab instead of PA sub for small PA

• Members

The kick is good at farting out your bass cabs :(. If I have to use subs that don't go down below 50-60hz (also typical of efficient bass cabs) I use the low cut on the kick and crank up the low tone control on that channel to get a "bump" around 80-100hz to get the "thump" out there without the "woof" - kinda an old school kick sound that I find quite acceptable if perhaps a bit thin by today's standards. Easy enough to try?

• Members

Bass cabs are pretty much full range speakers. They SUCK as subs. We tried this and it absolutely sucked. We disconnected the bass cab sub and the band actually sounded better. Lots of farting and no thump at all. We tried an 18" cab and a 4-10" cab. Both sounded great with my bass rig. If it is a money thing, pick up a single used MRX, in fact, my JRX sub sounded better then the bass cabs.

• Members

Even if it were into its own channel on the amp and turned up accordingly?

Or would I be endangering my bass-cab drivers?

Or just simply won't get loud enough or sound right?

Plenty loud. Just sounds like crap since those cabs don't really shine where you want sub support.

• Members

I would skip the sub all together. You are going to be playing small bars.

Keep it as simple as you can. Some decent {censored} on a stick PA speakers and one monitor and have at it .

The most important thing to a small bar are tables and chairs. The band needs to be able to play on a very small footprint and keep the volume at a decent level where people can talk if they are not right up front. We play a 100 seater every week with three eons. two for mains and one for a monitor. Lead guitar, rhythm guitar, keys, bass and drums. The rhythm and keys go through the board ,, lead has an amp as does the bass player. All small gear. Even with this puny set up, its easy for us to get too loud.

I would imagine that speaker stands would have a bigger foot print than subs. Also pose more of a hazard for audience members to trip on if you are set up on the floor.

• Members

I would imagine that speaker stands would have a bigger foot print than subs. Also pose more of a hazard for audience members to trip on if you are set up on the floor.

Yup we tie them off so that doesnt happen. The wind took one over one night ,, no blood got spilled but we did take out all the drinks on a table. small bars are a challenge. I still dont think you need subs for what you are doing. Its over kill ,, but subs are cool if you want to haul them around.

• Members

play one set with no sub then the other with a sub i use one sub in small clubs

for 40 people, there is very little chest thump but the spectrum is full

i would never not use a sub if keys or kick and bass r on stage...

i even use one for big band gigs i just set the xover a bit different.

• Members

play one set with no sub then the other with a sub i use one sub in small clubs

for 40 people, there is very little chest thump but the spectrum is full

i would never not use a sub if keys or kick and bass r on stage...

i even use one for big band gigs i just set the xover a bit different.

A sub isnt that big a deal for keys. the real lows are not what people really hear in the mix.... its mids and the highs. That where the keyboard earns its keep.

• Members

let me guess... your a key player with no left hand..

Moving on, im done with this sillyness.

Guy you are getting all caught up in theory. You dont need a sub woofer to handle the keyboard part in a rock and roll band. Do you play keys? A simple powered PA speaker works just dandy as a keyboard amp. Two powered speakers run stereo is a wonderful set up.

Archived