main vs monitor mix for noob

• Members

In my previous post about the voicelive causing feedback through the monitor, RoadRanger suggested removing the fx from the monitor and feeding it only to the mains. Now, since I have a cheap Behringer powered mixer I'm not aware of any way to do that. There is no fx send/return on the board so basically it goes mic->voicelive->stereo input channel and everything feeds out to both mains and monitor.

just for future reference when I go to buy a real mixer, what would I need to do in order to send a non processed feed to the monitor and a feed with fx into the mains ?

also I'm confused about busses..i see mixers with 4 buss, 8 buss..etc.

I know in the pc world that busses carry signals to specific parts of the motherboard and bypass other areas...wider the buss, faster the signal get processed. Whats the difference with busses in a mixer?

I'll be happy to read up on it if someone can point me in the right direction.

• Members
In my previous post about the voicelive causing feedback through the monitor, RoadRanger suggested removing the fx from the monitor and feeding it only to the mains. Now, since I have a cheap Behringer powered mixer I'm not aware of any way to do that. There is no fx send/return on the board so basically it goes mic->voicelive->stereo input channel and everything feeds out to both mains and monitor.

just for future reference when I go to buy a real mixer, what would I need to do in order to send a non processed feed to the monitor and a feed with fx into the mains ?

also I'm confused about busses..i see mixers with 4 buss, 8 buss..etc.

I know in the pc world that busses carry signals to specific parts of the motherboard and bypass other areas...wider the buss, faster the signal get processed. Whats the difference with busses in a mixer?

I'll be happy to read up on it if someone can point me in the right direction.

What RR said would work. What Behr model is it? Seems odd that it wouldn't have one.

• Members

You can use a simple "Y" cord on the mic and feed one mixer channel via the FX unit for the mains and another straight in for monitors.

You can also use the "straight in for monitors" feed in the mains to clean up the unintelligiable mess the FX unit is likely to make of your vocal mix out front. Without being able to hear what your stompy box is doing in the monitors, most would just keeping adding more of the effect to the mains mix until it can be heard from the mic position. At the point the mains mix is a wash of effects with no clarity. Adding the dry signal back in the main mix, while keeping the effects level appropriate for the audience and not the performer will allow your words to be heard clearly.

• Members

I would run it like this:

Dry signal (Original mic signal):

Mic > VoiceLive > Mic Pass Thru > Mixer Ch 1

Wet signal (Effects applied to original mic signal):

Mic > VoiceLive > Balanced Output > Mixer Ch 2

Ch1 assigned to mains and monitors

Ch2 assigned to mains

However, this assumes that the Balanced Outputs can deliver a 100% wet signal. (Without any of the original mic signal.)

If you can't get rid of the original mic signal, through the Balanced Outputs, you might have issues with phasing. Or, you might not.

• Members

According to the docs, you can disable the lead voice and allow only harmony voices through the balanced outputs.

However, what you probably want is the option of "Dry Lead:On/Off". This will allow the the "effected" lead vocal signal through, but eliminate the dry lead vocals.

In other words, the lead vocal would still be processed by the delay and reverb, in addition to the harmony voices, however, the dry lead vocal would be cut from this signal. It would be 100% wet and perfect for my suggestion, above.

Archived