Setting up a silent practice studio

• Members

I am planning to build a silent practice studio in my apartment. In addition, I would like to use the same setup for small live gigs and recording.

I am a guitarist, newbie to live sound set up, so i thought i would seek some advice here.

what i am basically thinking:

- an electronic drum kit

- guitars and bass into modelers, then into the mixer

- getting the mix to everybody via headphones

Being the mixer/PA the central piece, i am thinking to start with something like this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UB1222FX-Harbinger-APS15-PA-Package?sku=631030

would that work for silent practices, recording and live gigs ? let's say 4-5 musicians. do i need anything else ?

thanks

• Members

The problem is that everyone generally wants to customize their own mix so they can hear their own part better. For silent practices, something like this might work better:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/JamHub-GreenRoom-Silent-Rehearsal-Studio?sku=620797&src=3LBZWXX1

There is a less expensive, fewer channel model as well. And there's a model with a recorder. Just search JamHub.

• Members

We do this same thing and it works great. Our solution was not cheap, though. The drummer uses a TD-20 kit, bass and guitar use PODxt Pros, all through in ears via a Mixwiz. It sounds awesome through the in ears but people around us only hear the drum stick hitting the triggers and vocals.

• Members

the jamhub seems to be the easiest solution, but the problem I see with this approach is that in a live situation you cannot have your own mix. furthermore I would like to use the same setup for practice, gigs and recording.

in ears monitoring would be state-of-the-art but i am afraid it is gonna be out of my budget.

i am willing to invest up to 1000 in this. any suggestions ?

what about this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX212SBR10-PA-Package?sku=630198

i can always buy mics and cables separately, my main concerns are the mixer and the speakers

• CMS Author

the jamhub seems to be the easiest solution, but the problem I see with this approach is that in a live situation you cannot have your own mix. furthermore I would like to use the same setup for practice, gigs and recording.

in ears monitoring would be state-of-the-art but i am afraid it is gonna be out of my budget.

i am willing to invest up to 1000 in this. any suggestions ?

what about this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX212SBR10-PA-Package?sku=630198

i can always buy mics and cables separately, my main concerns are the mixer and the speakers

It is critical that any system that handles live mics has limiters. Any feedback can easily damage your hearing. Most IEM systems have limiters, which is part of the higher cost you're seeing.

• Members

We do this same thing and it works great. Our solution was not cheap, though. The drummer uses a TD-20 kit, bass and guitar use PODxt Pros, all through in ears via a Mixwiz. It sounds awesome through the in ears but people around us only hear the drum stick hitting the triggers and vocals.

My band used to rehearse just like this in my basement...I have an older TD-5that is maxed out on inputs and plugs directly into our mixer. We all play direct...bass DI, my Mesa DC-5 has a recording out, and other guitarist has a similar recording out on his Marshall.

Basically all that is needed with this setup is a mixer (preferably with effects) > headphone distributor > 4X Headphones (we use Sony 7506's). Makes a great late night basement setup...and won't wake the kiddies or neighbors. You can hear kick drum/pad hits and vox though your vocals are more focused and no need for shouting...unless that is your thing. I found I learned alot about my voice and truely singing by using the cans to rehearse.

When we would play out we would use the same setup with a pair of JBL EONs (P15 powered).

• Members

A used yamaha o1v (not o1v96) might be something worth looking at. It would give you enough ins and outs and routing for multiple monitor mixes. If I recall correctly, it has compressors/limiters on on its output busses.

Combined with a headphone amp it'd let you monitor silently and give you some flexibility.

• Members

I am looking for something like Cris K said - nice inputs. i did not know i needed a headphone distributor. I will watch out for limiters as well- thanks Craigv

For live use, think of a 4-5 piece rock band playing a small bar for 20-30 people. Mic'ing bass and drums is not required, but would be a plus.

Archived