Wireless Headset

• Members

I'm currently using an AKG 420 headset that has been good to me over the years, and I'm wondering if there is a wireless transmitter and reciever that will work with this condensor headset. I don't know if this could be done, but any advice would be helpful.

• Members

I believe the direct answer is no- at least for the Shure ULXPs I'm used to. The body packs don't provide enough phantom power for a condenser mic. However, you can buy a XLRF to (insert bodypack connector here) and use a phantom power supply (I've used the Crown PH-1, but it looks like there are many cheaper options out there) between the mic and the bodypack.

It might be easier to try out some headsets built for wireless...

• Members

Contact AKG. I believe it will work with 9-48V but there will be some tricky interfacing and you will need to know if the bias voltage is seperate or imposed on the audio line. I'm pretty sure I have one that's being used with a Shure wireless but not positive.

What has to happen is the phantom power interface module onthe end of your cable is removed and the element is configured (via the wiring) for the wireless standard in use. Some mics will only work with one of the two standards, so you really need the docs of both the mic and the transmitter.

Archived