Sennheiser 431

• Members

Prince sings through a wireless version...

It's a somewhat rare mic, but it definitely has its uses. This is going to sound a bit weird, but it usually sounds great on African-American people. Part of the mystery of vocal mics, I guess. Put that mic on a blues or soul singer (especially female) and it will sound 100x better than any other vocal mic IMHO.

• Members

It's a killer mic, actually. When I was doing touring sound in the mid-90s, I loved the 431. Definitely has a nice upper range and plenty of detail. Perhaps not a "rock & roll" mic (like the '58) but a mic that's good for a lot of singers. It is a tad delicate, though. We found that if it got dropped hard, something inside would bend and the capsule would have to be replaced. It only happened a couple of times for us in 4 years, though, so on the whole it stands up to normal wear 'n' tear just fine.

I think Prince uses (used?) a 4032, actually, which was a rare condenser mic that never caught on. Was supplanted by Sennheiser's e865 and e965, and of course the KMS105 and other, more modern condenser mics. I like the 4032 a lot - great mic. Just never see them out there anywhere.

Archived