Subs to pair with 6 EF500P's?

• Members

This fall I'm purchasing a bigger rig. Mainly in order to do some fairs and festivals that I organize. I've always really liked the EF500P, so I'm considering going with theses.. Just for ease and output.

Before I go any further.. Should I just STOP there and consider something else? I plan to fly them at most of these events? Anything available with more bang for the buck? WILL THESE COVER CROWDS OF 1200PLUS?

Also, I'll be needing some good low end to go with these. The LS1208 looks REALLY good! How many would I need? I've never heard them or any other yorkville subs besides the LS800P's.. (which I love)

This all is part of a non for profit committee.. so I'm starting earlier to work on the budget!

Looking forward to some help! (I've been out of the market to buy new gear for awhile)

• Members

Timely thread. I also have EF500pb's; four of them. I'm looking for subs as well, and hoping to get a call soon, from a local Danley dealer. The Danley's are a new product for him, and he's not received them yet. I'm looking to audition the TH-115's. I'd prefer a powered sub however, and if I can find something in the Yorkville lineup that suits the EF500pb's, I'll think I'll be a happy camper.

Now, I have a complication. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll stay with the EF500pb's. I've not used them yet, other than a brief test at home, and I'm attracted to the Unity U-15pb. I would think that the UCS1p would be the sub of choice for that pairing, but I'm curious as to how the UCS1p would sound with the EF500pb's. I'd be keeping the EF500pb's for this year, then ordering the U15pb's next year.

Further complication; my dealer has his annual inventory close-out sale this weekend. It starts today, and ends Saturday. He's a fairly small dealer, and doesn't routinely stock the UCS1p's, nor the U15p's, so I'd have to order them blind. I gotta make this decision in the next 48 hours or so. :facepalm:

Bob

PS. Drummer_Jay, You might want to pose this question over at ProSoundWeb too. There's a lot of guys using Yorkies over there.

• Members

If you go 1 sub per top most quality, high wattage subs would suffice. Stuff like TX9S, LS1208, LS800, SRX728, QRX218, etc...

From what I hear you could also go with 3 or 4 Danley TH115's or maybe Bassmaxx SP218's.

Anyway, in your position I'd go out there and try different stuff, maybe even rent it for a day or so... Personal preference is a thing to be considered and everyone has different taste.

I'd also consider fewer, more expensive boxes for tops and get a quote on some Meyers, Danleys or Dynacords (I saw a Cobra 2 for 17K once). The greater intelligibility of these speakers makes the whole system "seem" louder and increases the pleasure of listening. I get less ear fatigue after 4 hours of listening to Meyers than 2 hours of Yorkvilles, under the same SPL.

Just a few thoughts...

• Members

I used to own and run a rig of 2-3 EF500PB's over 2 LS800PB's per side. It MIGHT do what you're looking for depending upon the size of the area and genres of music that you need to cover. I was often into the limiters on the EF500PB's before the LS800PB with the genres that I would usually work with (Bluegrass, country, etc.).

If your serious about doing this right, you should probably look at something along the lines of the EAW KF-650 or the Danley SH46. We are using the SH46's ourselves now and have been very happy. Box for box the SH46's are easily up to 3 times louder than the EF500PB's. They also offer much better pattern control and sound quality. The down side is that they cost and weigh more. It takes a serious PA with a serious investment to handle 1200+ people well (especially outside). You might want to rethink what you're attempting to do.

Back to your original question, we use the TH115's subs with our SH46's. We could easily use TWO TH115's per SH46 to keep up with bass heavy music. The TH115's are great combination of size/portability, output/sound quality, and price.

Jeff

• Members

I've heard the EF500P's over the LS800P's quite a few times and they seem like a good match.

I'm not hands on familiar with the EAW's mentioned so I can't really comment on those. I can say that you can polemount the EF500P's if you need to (much lighter than the EAW's) and that they are a pretty good bang for the buck.

OT to the original thread - Hey Bob, you still trying to figure that FOH situation? I recently saw a used pair of U15P's going for CAN $1000 each at L&M. If there was an L&M near you they might have shipped them - should have PM'd you.

Personally I think the EF500P's might be a little more versatile than the U15's, although I prefer the U15's. The U15's are pretty hifi sounding (which I like) but for some styles of music they might not rock hard enough - whatever that means:)

Good luck to both of you guys, and happy GAS.

• Members

1200 is quite a few people. One thing to consider is how are you going to get the mid/high boxes up high enough? Outdoors you don't have any boundries, it takes more boxes to cover what you need indoors.

This is where I'd really look at an SRX quality dual 15+2" box over dual 18's. Minimum 2 per side. Make sure you can cross rent more if needed with power.

If you only have 3 or 4 shows this year you may want to cross rent from another provider too, with only a few shows it willtake you a long time to re-coup the costs.

• Members

1200 is quite a few people. One thing to consider is how are you going to get the mid/high boxes up high enough? Outdoors you don't have any boundries, it takes more boxes to cover what you need indoors.

This is where I'd really look at an SRX quality dual 15+2" box over dual 18's. Minimum 2 per side. Make sure you can cross rent more if needed with power.

If you only have 3 or 4 shows this year you may want to cross rent from another provider too, with only a few shows it willtake you a long time to re-coup the costs.

I've always had luck with the SRX gear.. Use to use 3 15+2 over 4 dual 18's a side for big stuff. It just never blew me away as far quality. Even using a midas console, crown amps and top of the line mics. Never felt the WOW factor!

PLUS, my biggest probem is, they're not flyable. I'd love to have that option.

EDIT: ACTUALLY, it looks like they do make flyable versions...?? Although I've never seen them used flown?

• Members

I've always had luck with the SRX gear.. Use to use 3 15+2 over 4 dual 18's a side for big stuff. It just never blew me away as far quality. Even using a midas console, crown amps and top of the line mics. Never felt the WOW factor!

If the SRX's never wowed you I don't think the Yorkies will.

I'm a big fan of Yorkville as exceptional bang for the buck but don't believe they will bring you to Nirvana.

You probably should start considering Meyer, Clair, Danley, Dynacord, etc...

• Members

If the SRX's never wowed you I don't think the Yorkies will.

I'm a big fan of Yorkville as exceptional bang for the buck but don't believe they will bring you to Nirvana.

You probably should start considering Meyer, Clair, Danley, Dynacord, etc...

I'd love too! Price jumps a ton to get into that level though. I was trying to say the SRX stuff didn't wow me enough to justify the increased cost over the Yorkville stuff!

Any ideas what Yorkville Mains would have some good high output and decent throw?

• Members

OT to the original thread - Hey Bob, you still trying to figure that FOH situation? I recently saw a used pair of U15P's going for CAN $1000 each at L&M. .

I saw those Shaster. (L&M's U15p's). I think they were the carpeted version. I might be thinking of another pair I found too.(EBay store)

Archived