Getting a cheap but tough live sound set up

• Members

So I'm looking for a relatively cheap but tough live sound system. We have 5 band members (3 guitars (including bass) 1 mic and a drum kit which we won't need to mic).

I have very limited understanding of PA, I'm in the process of learning more but it's hard all the same. I came across this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-740-Plus-S715-PA-Package?sku=630489 and was wondering, is this what I'm looking for? or will this end up being a bad investment? I'm looking for A) enough monitors so that the band can hear themselves (I know only two come with this one, will that be enough? and if not can you hook up more to this system?) B) a sound system that won't crap out (I can replace the cruddy cables they give us, I expect them to blow) and something we can all plug in to.

If I've been really vaugue, I apologize, just tell me what I've been unclear on and I'll explain it.

• Members

That may, and emphasize may, get you through a rehearsal, but that would be it. What are you planning on using it for? As allexcosta, that system has no monitors.

If you're planning on performing, the unfortunate reality is that if you want to sound halfway decent, your budget is off by a factor of 10 or so for a minimal, decent bar rig.

• Members

That system will not be able to handle bass guitar. If you are not micing drums or bass and very little guitar it might work with very low stage volume. As allexcosta points out, you will need some type of monitor system so the singer can hear himself.

These types of systems are cheap but don't expect them to be durable. As allexcosta says, you will be much better served with a passive mixer and 3 or 4 powered speakers.

What type of music and how loud will it be? How many people do you need to cover? What is your actual budget?

• Members

This would be decent enough to get you STARTED.... but for Hard Rock etc... you're going to want to add subs in at some point.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-EMX512SC-A12--A12M-Mains---Monitors-PA-Sys-485226-i1490461.gc

Package 1 from Audio East would also be a good start: -- these are also POWERED speakers, so no messing around, worrying about amps.

http://www.audioeast.com/jblsystems.htm

But you'd need to also pickup a couple monitors with that system as well... EON510's would be good for system continuity.

• Members

I was in the same boat a year ago.Right now I'm at at about $4500.00! And I got some really killer deals throughout the year.Once you are bitten,you will never be the same! Lol. Seriously,check on used,or discontinued items,that still offer warrenty.There are a lot of ways to go.Keep gleening,and learning in this forum.That is probably the best investment you will make!

• Members

Well then, what do you suggest I buy in that price range?

Glad you asked.

If you don't mind used gear something like 4 15" EONs (either G1 or G2) and a small mixer such as Yamaha or Peavey can be had for that budget.

Look around enough and you will find even better deals. I got a pair of RCF 322a's for 500 bucks.

If you must go new grab 3 Wharfedale Titan 12 (active ones) or 3 Peavey PR12D's and a small mixer with built-in effects and aux out.

I believe you'll be kicking yourself if you decide to go with a powered mixer, so don't do it...

• Members

I suppose one important question to ask is if you are a hobby band or aiming for professional?

If you are a hobby band then a powered mixer, some mains, and couple monitors will suit you fine. IF at all possible I would go Passive (nonpowered) board with powered speakers. Aka somthing like this http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=RX800-LM153&cid=102 plus this http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=1202M-2&cid=22 or this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-EMX512SC-A12--A12M-Mains---Monitors-PA-Sys-485226-i1490461.gc

If you are aiming for professional will thats a differant story. You would want the full gammit of subs, mains, Monitors, Eq, Crossover, a good amount quality mics. LIke Sm57's for istruments and 58's for vocals. Basically a system like this. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=2444U-115N-118N&cid=105 or this http://www.audioeast.com/jblsystems.htm (Fourth system down.)

If you are aiming for professional and on a tight budget I would write the system you wanted to get. Get the main pieces of it Aka mains, Monitors, board, amp, and a few mics. Then gradually add the other pieces over time aka subs, another amp, corssover, 32 band Eq, More mics, ETC. Scrounge craigslist and ebay for deals.

• Members

I will be playing alt/classic/hard rock and

Less than 100 people? Most of the time? How big a venue? You might be able to get away with a vocals only P/A.

I attended a party last fall, where all of the guests were professional musicians. I'm not talking bar-band here; many of these folks were recording professionals, studio-session guys, people that have performed internationally. We had roughly 80 guests at one point. The band varied, as different musicians took the stage, but for the most part, it was a 4-piece band (keys,bass,drums,guitar) with three back-up singers, and a lead vocalist. The "venue", was a garage. There were maybe 25 people in the garage (including the band), and the rest of the folks standing near the entrance.

The "P/A" consisted of two small speakers for the vocals,,, that's it,,,, and the sound was "killer". No monitors were used, as the overall volume was fairly low, but never "lacking". Actually, it was "perfect" for that crowd/ that venue. What made this "work"??? I'd say it was cooperation between all the musicians involved. None were "cranked up", and the end-result was a beautiful and integrated blend of music. It was quite an eye-opener for me.

Bob

• Members

Using Peavey stuff:

2 PV12M monitors @ $200 each = $400

2 PR12 mains @ $200 each = $400

1 IPR1600 amp = $300

1 PV14 mixer = $300

Total $1400

Run the two monitors off one side of the amp and the two mains off the other.

You'll need subs someday when you need to put the bass and drums in the PA.

• Members

Tough and cheap? That sounds like older Peavey gear. I would start reading as much about PA's as you can. Then I would start looking at all the used music stores, and talk to old band buddies. Sometimes you can find a band that has broken up that will loan or sell you their PA for little cash.

Good luck.

dk

• Members

I would go with a couple powered speakers and a mixer with effects. This will get you started. Add another powered speaker when you want a monitor. I have been playing a small bar with this kind of system for a couple winters. If you decide to up scale , there will be a spot in your new system for the powered speakers as monitors. Buy stuff that will work for you down the road as well as work getting you off the ground. This bar is in the 100 seat range. We use three enons and a mackie mixer, but you can find good bullet proof gear in less expensive brands like the ones suggested ,, P or C makes good stuff. I have an old P tnt 100 bass amp that still cookin along,,, its good workin mans gear. Ditto on skipping the powered mixer. Powered speakers are handy as {censored} ,,, and the amps are matched to the speakers by pro engineers. if you go the powered mixer route you will end up with a cobbled up mess down the road.

• Members

My advise is...

HIRE A PROFESSIONAL

They'll save you a few bucks in the long run and a lot of headaches.

Doesn't sound like his band is going to be making enough for that. Hiring a pro for small bar gigs seems kind of unnecessary to me. For what it would cost to hire the pro for 5 or 6 gigs, he'd have his $1500 PA paid for.

• Members

Doesn't sound like his band is going to be making enough for that. Hiring a pro for small bar gigs seems kind of unnecessary to me. For what it would cost to hire the pro for 5 or 6 gigs, he'd have his $1500 PA paid for.

You also need somthing to practice with. I am assuming that they are really light when it comes to practice gear.

• Members

Rent a PA/sound engineer until you can afford a decent one. don't buy crap and have to buy again. What a waste. I did just that before I found this forum. I am learning and gathering so much information from these particular forumites. To let you all know I really appreciate all of you here.

• Members

i think it can't be stressed enough, you dont have to rush... you can hire, you can limit yourself to venues where the PA is provided. Try a few options, then buy. I brought my first PA in a rush, not a total disaster (still use one of the amps 10 years later) but i paid far too much, and could have done a lot better.

If you've got a gig this weekend, or next week, and are in a hurry, post on here or other similar forums, there will probably be someone who can mix for you for a reasonable price, and be prepared to learn.

I dont say that to disparage you, i know it is daunting realising that this business costs a lot!! (believe me... it does).... but a good start, with gear that can be added to rather than replaced, is a great foundation.

Archived