JBL subs (or others?)

• Members

Hi forum,

Just curious for some input from all the pros here. I love all the threads and have learned so much.

Wanted on some thoughts on maybe upgrading our subs. 8 piece GB/club band

I have a pair of JBL JRX118s now powered by GX5.

Thoughts on upgrade(?) to MPro418S for $400 used each or MRX $650 new each? Other ideas? I've never liked the low end for the band. If it helps, tops are MRX515s powered by QSC3402. DBX Driverack. Mackie CFX20. Bass gtr direct, kick drum D112.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

Anything will be a HUGE upgrade from the JRXs. No offense is meant as I owned them too. We went with MRX518s and the difference was incredible. If you want to lose an amp (and have extra cash laying around) PRX518s or PRX718s would be great.

• Members

Hey Mike,

If you want sheer simplicity, going with a JBL PRX718s or a QSC HPR181i would be the way to go.... high output, self powered. Stay away from the PRX518s as they are fairly disappointing.

If you want to stick with a standard amp + speaker setup, JBL SRX series are great. The used MPro's are decent as well... and sound like a decent "cost conscious" choice.

If you want "big" sound in a small package, an KV2 EX2.2 would be great.

Finally, although I've never heard them live, people give the Yorkville LS720p rave reviews.

• Members

Any sub would most likely be an improvement over the JRX series but what is it about the low end that you do not like?

Is it the bass, is it the kick drum, other??

Just making sure maybe something else in the signal chain isn't the reason why you are lacking low end.

Possibly a setting in your driverack????

There are many reasons and it may not just be the subs you are using.

• Members

Thanks all for the input. I'm in the info gathering stage right now and all of your help is appreciated.

Vinny, I suppose I could have a problem with the driverack. I've emailed dbx for the proper setting and have posted here as well. I'm using settings from both dbx and Agedhorse, tuned best as I can. Just looking for a more thump out of the kick drum and definition from the bass guitar. I've read how horrible the JRXs are, so I'm looking to see what's out there and what you guys all think.

Thanks!

Mike

• Members

Just looking for a more thump out of the kick drum and definition from the bass guitar.

Mike

I would highly suggest trying an Audix D6 on the kick drum, I switched from using a D112 to the D6 and the difference will amaze you.

While I got decent results with the D112, the D6 just blows it away. Much simpler to EQ and you get an instant great kick drum sound just leaving the channel EQ flat to start with.

Being a bass player I would suggest looking at the EQ settings on the bass players rig, if he is feeding the FOH with a DI from his amplifier and it is *post* EQ this can cause many issues.

Many bass players like playing with a scooped bass sound (plenty of lows & highs but NO mids). This sounds great when playing on your own but in a live band setting the bass guitar will sound like mud with zero clarity.

Just some things to consider.

Archived