1 or 2 subs

• Members

I have 1 QSC kSub and two Mackies srm 450's. Questions are:

1. Is there a big difference 1 sub vs 2 subs in the way people perceive the music? (2 mains on stands on each side of the stage & 1 sub in the middle vs 2 subs in a sub/main + sub/main setup)

2. If I use a sub in the middle, does it have to be in line with the mains, or can it be 5 to 6 feet behind the mains?

3. Does it really matter where I place the sub, does it matter where the port openings are facing?

4. Last, can I place a mixer on top of a sub? would the vibrations damage it?

Thanks for the help,

Brian

• Members

I typically setup a main+sub on each side. I was never a big fan of subs front and center, although the coupling really helps sometimes. On some of my outdoor events I stack 2 subs and put 1 main on top on each side. I always face the subs in the same direction as the mains.

Placing a mixer on a sub would probably shorten the lifespan of the faders from vibration. Once or twice shouldn't hurt anything though, it's just not ideal.

• CMS Author

4. Last, can I place a mixer on top of a sub? would the vibrations damage it?

Feel the sub during a performance. If you're getting a lot of vibe, don't put electronics on it...they might fall off. If they're Behringer electronics, the likelihood of rattling a cold solder joint loose are greater:lol:. In general, avoid the issue if you can. If you must, use a soft foam pad under the gear.

• Members

Owing to the filters on the sub, it will already be "behind" the tops when it is physically even with them. On my old rig, it took 12ms of delay on the tops to line them up. Once aligned, the subs felt at least 3dB hotter than with no delay on the tops.

• Members

Owing to the filters on the sub, it will already be "behind" the tops when it is physically even with them. On my old rig, it took 12ms of delay on the tops to line them up. Once aligned, the subs felt at least 3dB hotter than with no delay on the tops.

Owing to the filters? How are the filters delaying the low passed signal? That's a HUGE distance. On the K-sub, or by chance are you talking about a long folded horn loaded sub?

Are you sure you are not confusing the phase shift as the signal transitions through and above the crossover point? That can not be corrected by delay of the tops. That is a mathamatical function that does not affect the low pass signal, just as the signal is transitioning through the crossover point.

• Members

So far I like the Ksub. This is my first sub so I would not be able to speak about others. I like the portability, the weight, and it does not take too much space in my van. I would have to say that in a gig, we used a big kick drum which did not sound good through the sub. The kick was not powerful, did not thump, etc. It was very faint. Yes, I checked the mic, placement, etc... Then we switched to a smaller kick drum and boom, there it was.

My thought was (and please correct me if I am talking out of my ass) that the 2x12's just can't handle such low frequencies, and may be a 15' or 18' sub would? I don't know.

I have not mounted the 450 on top of it, because I don't want to have one side with a sub and one side without it.

• Members

My thought was (and please correct me if I am talking out of my ass) that the 2x12's just can't handle such low frequencies, and may be a 15' or 18' sub would? I don't know.

Probably not the reason. Mic technique, mic type, system processing, channel eq, mix/balance etc all factor into how this sounds.

Archived